Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Monday, January 3, 2011

When You Go to Sup With the Devil, Bring a Long Spoon

That old proverb came to mind when I read that Facebook is getting a cash infusion from the Global Vampire Squid.
Facebook, the popular social networking site, has raised $500 million from Goldman Sachs and a Russian investor in a deal that values the company at $50 billion, according to people involved in the transaction.
I was on Facebook for a couple of months and then left it.

What gets me is the charge towards Boomers of being "self-absorbed". Looking at people on Facebook showed me that Boomers have nothing on Gen Xers and the Millenials* when it comes to being self-absorbed. I saw such urgent updates as "boy, did I get hammered last night", "I'm at the airport on the way to D.C.", "I'm going into work", "having dinner tonight" and then there were all the frakking updates from people playing Farmville or Mafia Wars.

Really, who gives a rat's ass? Sharing is highly overrated.

But beyond that, taking money from Goldman Sachs and Russians, what could possibly go wrong with that? Zuckerberg is going to be lucky if all that happens is that those goniffs strip him of his company. He could wind up rooming next to Mikhail Khordokovsky.

UPDATE: Matt Taibbi notes that this is just another in a long string of Goldman's deals which are of questionable legality and of dubious morality. I imagine that Goldman's going to layer on all sorts of management and service fees that will sap any profits from Goldman's victims clients. But as he noted, since only the rich are probably going to be investing in this scheme, it will be hard to work up any sympathy for them when they start complaining of how they were robbed.

____________________
*Also known as "Generation Y" (born 1982-2002). That comes from Gen X (1965-1981). I don't like the Gen Y term, for that implies that those born after 2002 are Generation Z, which would imply that they either the ones who are going to fight World War Z or they're going to turn into zombies.

2 comments:

One Fly said...

It's a modern day party line and did little with it while I was there. If someone wants to check up with me they can call or visit. That hardly happens any more which is okay too.

Cirze said...

All of which is undoubtedly true.

those born after 2002 are Generation Z, which would imply that they either the ones who are going to fight World War Z or they're going to turn into zombies.

I was forced into joining the "facers" just to see some pictures of my sister's friends (sis has terminal cancer). I was so sorry I did (and glad I didn't give any personal info) after I saw how impoverished this project is intellectually, and what a suckfest it really is.

Zuck will be lucky to be treated as well as Khordokovsky was when his peeps recognize that they just signed up to give their personal info to the CIA.

To think that our country is counting on any of these people to make sacrifices to ensure a decent future is just too rich for my blood.

Thanks for the fine prose!

S