Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Monday, February 23, 2009

An Impediment to Morning Blogging

Gracie had other priorities.



I really do like my new camera, as it is small enough to ride in my purse. (Cellphone cameras,to my mind, are like derringers: OK in an emergency, but not really good for anything.) This shot, though, shows the value of slightly larger cameras, such as the Canon A95. The A95's LED screen can be swung out and tilted. So I was able to hold the camera up over my head, so I could get the distance needed to take in all of Gracie, and also to properly frame the shot. With my new A1000, I'd have been guessing.

I know digital is different. But having been a teenager who used expensive (to me) Kodachrome 64 in a Canon FT SLR, I find it hard to shake my training to carefully compose the photo in the viewfinder and then take one good exposure.

7 comments:

Karen Zipdrive said...

Oh boy, lotsa kitty pics coming.

Comrade Misfit said...

Not so much. The new camera is riding in my purse; the old one will be the ready camera for home use.

I have a lot of kitty pics on my hard drive that have not been made into Caturday posts.

lisahgolden said...

I've got one with a new fascination with the computer. I guess he's loving the heat it puts off.

BadTux said...

My big new camera puts out a red dot of light as its infrared illuminator for setting the focus. If holding the camera above my head, I just center that red dot of light on the cat, and voila. The framing will probably be off (as in, get a lot more than the cat), but with a 10 megapixel camera who cares? Just cut out the 2 megapixels of cat with The Gimp or other free image processing software and post, and it'll still be higher resolution than anything we could have imagined ten years ago.

Comrade Misfit said...

My new camera doesn't put out anything visible. (I just tried it both on a wall and looking at it.)

Lockwood said...

So did you find a software fix for the Windows 2000 issue? I just got mu first digital for Christmas, and I'm having a blast with it. But I don't use too much indoor light, and have had a hard time getting pics of my cat with her eyes open (she closes them at the flash). When we start getting some sunshine... But I did enjoy your pointers on shooting cat pics.

Comrade Misfit said...

Lockwood, no software. I bought a card reader at Worst Buy and I use that for transferring image files.