Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Oh, This is Going to Be Nasty

My intestines are making noises akin to a summer thunderstorm. I have a feeling that I'm going to be wedded to ye olde throne in a little bit.

Anyway, to follow up on the "what to build" post, I haven't found a decent .30-06 for a project rifle for less than $325. That was the cost of a Remington 721 on a used rack. I found one Interarms Mk-X used for $375. For the Interarms, I'd have to install both receiver and front sights. The Remington, probably just a rear sight (and remove the open rear sight forward of the bolt).

On the other hand, I have one of these lying around (which Brigit Magnus suggested in the original post):


And then I can add a replacement peep sight for the open rear sight, and it'll be good to go. The rifle I have in mind is a de-snipered 91-30 that shoots OK, though it shoots high and to the right without a bayonet. The new sight should at least fix the first issue. I can probably install a higher front sight if the peep sight can't correct the elevation. $71 for a replacement sight is a bit easier to swallow than several times that.

Ammunition, of course, is not as readily available, but there are some sources for non-milspec hunting rounds and as many many thousands of those rifles have been imported, I expect that ammunition availability will only improve.

2 comments:

Nangleator said...

http://verydemotivational.memebase.com/2011/02/08/demotivational-posters-sudoku-toilet-paper/

Comrade Misfit said...

It wasn't that bad, after all. And I have books.