Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Sunday, March 2, 2008

My "Go To" Gun

A Taurus Pt-92 9mm, loaded with Remington Golden Saber hollowpoints.


All right, I can hear the comments: I have written before that the 1911 Colt is the gold standard of handguns and the .45ACP is the gold standard of cartridges. How then can I, in all good conscience, opt for a different handgun firing an inferior cartridge? The FBI, after all, ditched the 9mm for .40s.

All true. But the PT-92 has one feature that the 1911 lacks: The ability to be fired in double-action for the first shot. This means that I can keep the weapon fully loaded, with a round chambered. I do not need to work any safeties or anything other than the trigger, just point at a target and fire. Then the weapon shifts into SA mode, which I have a fair amount of familiarity with, and the controls on the weapon function in the same way as a 1911's do.

Add to that is the fact that this particular gun has never jammed or failed to feed on me. So, to my mind, I have a handgun that has reasonable power, a considerable ammunition load, reliability and ease of operation.

So when there is a reason to reach for a pistol, it's the PT-92 for me.

(Your mileage may vary.)

4 comments:

BadTux said...

Sounds similar to my reasoning behind using a double-action revolver for home defense purposes, i.e., it's pretty much a point-and-shoot weapon where you don't have to worry about, under stress, whether you jacked a round into the chamber, whether the safety button being to the left means "Safe" or "Ready to fire", etc... a .357 with a moderate round will make pretty much any home intruder dead and not inflict too much stress on the user in the process. And when was the last time you ever heard of a revolver jamming?!

- Badtux the Well-armed Penguin

BobG said...

I prefer a 1911 or a double-action revolver, but that's just me.
A person should use what works best for them.

Anonymous said...

I like the double action first round. Had a P38 for a long while, but went to a S&W 629 for the larger bore. Does any one make a .45 auto with double action first round?

Comrade Misfit said...

Jeg,

SiG makes some, I think. But I'm not going to drop close to an AMU on one.

(AMU= Aircraft Maintenance Unit, or $1,000)