Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Musings on a Red Dot

I've had a bit of "trigger time" with this gun and the sight.


I have progressive-lenses in my glasses. If I look though the edges of the lenses, the dot gets fuzzy. The center of the dot is still distinct and usable. It's a hell of a lot easier to line up with on a target.

However, it is not as easy to acquire. If I bring the pistol straight up, pointing towards the target and then look though the sight, I might not see a dot. Then I have no clue which way to adjust to pick it up. It'd be a pretty uncomfortable situation in a match, trying to wiggle the gun around to find the dot as the time approaches for a rapid-fire string. Maybe if I sprung for custom-made anatomical grips, that's resolve itself.

But since I don't have such grips, what I do is to bring the pistol up with the barrel slightly elevated so that I can see the front sight at the bottom edge of the optic. Then I tilt the barrel down slightly, taking care to not move the barrel laterally and the red dot appears.

Whatever works.

I would imagine that on a rifle, things would come together a lot faster.

Update: Five shots, slow fire at 25 yards: 50-4x. This thing is a keeper.

2 comments:

Chuck Pergiel said...

I got a pair of glasses with progressive lenses a few years ago and I hated them. The field of view was so narrow that I had to turn my head to read a single line of text in a book. On the other hand my friend Jack has progressive lenses and he likes them just fine.

Capt.Craig said...

Shit! I can't pass this up.
If you were to get conservative lenses the whole world would look better for you :)