Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Friday, March 21, 2014

Ooops, I Did It Again; Bangity Editon

Swung by a LGS after a business appointment and they had two of these on sale:



Well, now they only have one of them.

Truth be told, the grip of the S&W 22A felt slightly better. But I went for the Mk.III because if I get seriously into Bullseye shooting, the Mk.III is customizable to beat the band.

UPDATE/AAR: OK, I'm a bit of an ignoramus. They had two 5.5" bull barreled Rugers. One felt nice in my hand, well-balanced. The other was heavier. Heavier than I wanted, considering I'm going to put an optic on it. So I went with the lighter one. Which was a Mk.III 22/45, not a straight Mk.III.

It shoots well. I sighted it in on a rest at 25 yards and it'll do nicely. Then I tried one-handed and damned skippy, I'ma gonna need an optic. With myopia and presbyopia, getting a good sight picture is frakking hard.

Guy at the LGS recommended either a Burris Fastfire or a NCStar. I'll have to get something if I want to do more than make shotgun-lie patterns.

UPDATE: Frelling Amazon...

13 comments:

Keads said...

Congrats! Great looking Pistol.

Nangleator said...

That looks like an old Ruger .22 target pistol my dad had, even with the bull barrel.

Nice memories.

Even the memory of taking aim with my thumb partially covering the back of the slide mechanism. My dad stopped me before I hurt myself.

Brad_in_IL said...

EB,

Have you ever done a breakdown & reassembly on a Mark-III? If not, as a Mark-III owner, allow me to share the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hflZbPI-qc

Oh . . . before you watch . . . food and beverage warning.

Murphy's Law said...

Very nice. Can't wait for the AAR.

w3ski said...

I had one with the Bull Barrel but before 'rails'. I tried all the available ammo brands and in the end I never got a group that impressed me. Then Cleaning was/is a nightmare. I got rid of mine in frustration.
I wish you luck with it, somebody had good results, may it also be you.
I So miss my Browning Challenger. It shot better than the Ruger every day.
w3ski

Old NFO said...

You'll like it! :-) And takedown IS a PITA! View the video...

Peter said...

Take a look at the Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 red dot sight. It's rated very highly by experienced users who know and are used to Aimpoints in the military. I have no less than six of them on various guns, and they perform very well for me. Best of all is the price - $79.99 on Amazon (look up ASIN B00200E0HM).

Highly recommended.

LRod said...

Brad_in_MA:

Is that the hammer strut issue? (I watched the video and know it's not).

I had a MkI but learned the hard way about the hammer strut before I got it. How hard? My girlfriend's father, a retired CPO, had loaned it and a Hi-Standard to me because he knew of my interest in guns.

I took them out and put a couple of boxes each through them, then, after supper and a couple of evening TV programs, set about cleaning them.

I had a Colt revolver already, so field stripping and cleaning was not a foreign concept, and in fact both pistols broke down fairly intuitively, and cleaned up nicely.

The Hi-Standard almost fell back together and I gave it a final wipedown before turning to the Ruger. It also practically fell back together until I jacked the bolt to cycle the action. Jammed.

Oh, well, I must have missed something…for the next four hours, until 0200, I stripped and reassembled that damn MkI over and over—searching progressively harder, trying to figure out how in the hell I had broken the Chief's pistol. And I'm good at this shit.

You may not be able to imagine how I felt, but panic was one emotion. Failure was another. The disappointment then anger the Chief was likely to direct toward me—the father whose daughter I was likely defiling but who trusted me with other possessions. The expense of replacing a weapon I could ill afford. The stakes were immense.

Finally, on the umpteenth examination of all the parts, I spotted the junction between the dimple and the rest of the mainspring assembly. It's very difficult to see in a pistol that hasn't seen much use.

I breathed a sigh of relief and went to bed. I returned the guns the next day, thanking him for the loan. I never said a word about it.

Eventually, I got my own MkI because it's a sweet shooting pistol, and naturally, I never had a problem reassembling it.

LRod
ZJX, ORD, ZAU retired

Comrade Misfit said...

w3ski, easy, for I'm not about to clean it very often. .22s tend to get over-cleaned, anyway.

Eck! said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBtaBOWZKig

I watched several and most use only a paper clip to disassemble and assemble. THose that need heavier tools aren't paying attention.

Things to watch for on the Ruger
during assembly. Compared to the M1 Garand Id call cleaning that easy once you understand the hammer system and the correct assembly process.


Eck!

Comrade Misfit said...

Peter, thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered one.

Anonymous said...

Odd, they must not like you.

I get most of my stuff in 2 days. Sometimes less.

Comrade Misfit said...

Anon 10:11:

I guess that they don't.

Those cocksuckers.