Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Monday, April 7, 2014

Erg-- Bangity Edition

I went to a bowling pin match yesterday. Shot .22 auto, .22 DA revolver and .38/357.

For .38/.357, I brought a Smith & Wesson Model 10-5 with a 4" barrel. Probably not the best gun for that match, my 6" M-19 would have been better. I only cleared the table once out of three tries. The load in the gun was 158grn LSWCs, pushed along by 4.0grn of Trail Boss. I'm a newbie at reloading; the nice thing about Trail Boss is it's damn near impossible to double-charge a case with it.

The 22/45 performed well, though the match is limited to open sights. I probably need to speed things up in my shooting. After I shot that part of the match, I went over to the neighboring range, re-mounted the red dot sight, and got it sighted in.

Anyway, there was another shooter who had a 6" Smith (either a M-27 or a M-14) who had aftermarket springs in for a lighter trigger pull. The downside for that was that he was getting light hammer strikes. I loaned him my M-10. He cleared his table twice in about eight seconds per try. Pretty damn good with a fixed-sight gun he'd never shot, and far better than I did.

It was a fun day.

4 comments:

w3ski said...

It's a bit smokey but try Unique.
You can do pop loads and still fill a case with it for a Magnum load.
I use it for .32 auto up to 44 mag and it shoots well in everything. I was able to shoot a cloverleaf group with it in a 6" 357 with a 38 case and a plus p load, and it works terrific in a mag case for a mild load. I think my 'baby' was about 5.7 grains? But work up is the only way to go.
Good Luck and Burn that powder.
w3ski

Comrade Misfit said...

I'd love to, but I haven't seen a bottle or jug of Unique in the gun shops since 2012.

w3ski said...

Damn, it's been awhile for me.
2400 was another good everyday powder, I had to use a hotter primer for it tho. It's very bulky and can fill a 357 with one charge. Great for 357 magnum loads. I made a really hot 44 mag load that went thru 8 inches of standing green Cedar tree. Fantastic in my 18 inch 357 rifle barrel, not much for a small 38 case tho. Probably all gone too. That's sucky, all that stuff used to be stacked up on the shelf. I used a reloading only store in Redding Ca and another old guy in a garage back in Eureka. That redding place made some 500 packs of real hard 357 swc's that you could shoot at mag velocities and stay lead free. Those were the days.
Burn some for me
w3ski

Comrade Misfit said...

I haven't seen 2400 or Titegroup on the shelves, either. Come to think of it, the last bottle of Trail Boss that I've seen is what I bought.