Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Monday, February 3, 2014

Color My Car "Not-Networked", Thank You.

In what top transportation officials are calling a “moon shot” for drivers on American highways, the Obama administration intends to require new cars to include technology that would enable the vehicles to talk to each other and avoid crashes.

The Department of Transportation estimates this new vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) technology could cut down on crashes by as much as 80 percent, with the potential of saving as many as 20,000 American lives each year. ... According to the DOT, the V2V technology wouldn’t compromise personal privacy because the data-gathering process doesn’t involve the exchanging or recording of personal information.
Bullshit. If information is being exchanged, it's being recorded, somewhere. The cars are going to identify themselves to each other, count on that.

Meanwhile, the EU is considering allowing the cops to be able to shut off anyone's car at will.

I have a feeling that non-electronic cars may command a healthy premium on the used car market.

4 comments:

Keads said...

I agree. I have several pre engine management cars (ODBII, etc.) here.

Ole Phat Stu said...

Your SatNav knows where it's been, and when, speed at any time, rapid decelerations, pauses etc etc.

Who gets to read the data out?

Comrade Misfit said...

I don't have an installed satnav in my car. The plug-in one (Garmin nuvi) is mostly off. If I know where I'm going, why have the distraction.

And if I don't know the destination, I program in the address and then leave it off until I get to where I need it.

BadTux said...

As I noted on my blog yesterday, it appears that the State of California, at least, is going out of their way to try to eliminate all non-electronic cars on their roadways by illegally requiring them to meet emissions standards far stricter than those in effect on the date of manufacture. More details when I can get them...