Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Frank James Update & Tab Clearing

Frank James apparently had a stroke. I'm presuming that if you leave good wishes on his blog, they'll get to him somehow. Or maybe not. As far as I know, Tam's blog is probably the place to check for updates.

When I read the words "rail gun", it calls to mind an electromagnetic rifle. Not one of these things.

I just bought Marko's and Peter's first books for my Kindle ("Terms of Enlistment" and "Take the Star Road"). I've never been much into military SF as a genre. I'm more of a hardboiled mystery type* The SF works in my home when I was a kid tended to Asimov and Clarke, not Heinlein.

I never much got into RAH. I did take a date to see "Starship Troopers",** but that was more payback because she had taken me to a movie that was so bloody sappy that it almost gave me type II diabetes. And "Kull the Conqueror"*** had already gone out of the theaters.

But I digress.

I have enjoyed RobertaX's web series "I Work on a Starship", which isn't exactly milspec SF, though it touches on it. So I thought it might be good to step outside of my normal reading zone and read those books. Besides that, they're good guys.

When you get up to go out in the morning and you put on your gun, helps to check that you've got the right speedloaders. I went through a day a little while back with a J-frame piece and two speedloaders for a K-frame. Didn't need them, but it would have been a Bad Thing if I had.
_________________________________________________
* yes, I wrote that. Be a mensch and buy a copy.
** very high suckage factor in that movie.
*** ditto my last.

7 comments:

Yogi said...

Did you ever get into C J Cherryh? Downbelow Station, Merchanter's Luck, the Faded Sun series are all really good reads in the "Give me an alien who thinks like and alien, not like a furry human".

Peter said...

Thanks! I consider you a friend more than a customer, so if you'd like to read the next two (assuming you enjoy the first), let me know, and I'll send them to you.

Comrade Misfit said...

Bad Yogi, no I haven't read any of Cherryh. I'll add that to my list.

Peter, thanks.

w3ski said...

On the subject of 'Rail Guns' what ever happened with 'case less' ammo? I vaguely remember reading of it and phuttz, it's gone.
w3ski

Joe Allen said...

To be clear, the "Starship Troopers" movie was a complete abomination and completely missed (or disregarded) the point of the book.

Comrade Misfit said...

w3ski, caseless ammo apparently didn't offer that big of an improvement over the stuff that was developed in the 1860s. Designing a caseless round that will stand up to handling and yet be self-consuming seems to be a real problem.

Roberta X said...

Thanks for the kind words -- and I second the recommendation to read Cherryh. "Rimrunners" is a good quick look at her universe.