Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset,
A/K/A P01135809, A/K/A Dementia Donnie

Sunday, November 4, 2007

My Favorite Pistols

This is my favorite, a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt. The sights are the traditional 19th Century thin-notch rear sight and post front sight. But what I can I say, I can usually hit where I'm aiming. Ruger Vaqueros are heavy and strong guns. I've not heard of one breaking in normal use. The new Vaquero is supposed to be a little bit smaller and lighter, but I've not handled one.


This is my Series-80 Colt, in .45 ACP:

The beavertail safety and the Commander-style hammer are after-market add-ons. The sights are Wilson Combat sights, which had too many sharp edges for my taste. I radiused the front of the front sight and the top outside corners of the rear sight to make the sights a little more user-friendly. I bought it used and the gun had Colt neoprene grips, which I switched for checkered wood ones.

I can shoot fairly well with this gun, too.

5 comments:

BadTux said...

What I like about the .45 ACP is that what you shoot darn well stays shot. Which is somewhat the point, I suspect. Generations of GI's wept when they replaced the ACP with that damned Eyetallian 9mm plinker gun...

BobG said...

I've liked the 1911 ever since I first shot it, 45 years ago. None of the other ones feel right to me these days.
I have always liked the single actions; I have a 45 Blackhawk and a 44 mag SuperBlackhawk as a couple of members in my collection of revolvers. The grips are not standard, but that is because regular grips are too small for my palm, and I have to have something longer than is traditional.
I also have an actual old Peacemaker in the bunch.

Comrade Misfit said...

BobG,

Badtux is right.

I have a .357/9mm convertible Blackhawk from 1976, when they roll-stamped the barrel "Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty." It is the first handgun I owned.

I had a .45 Blackhawk, but I sold it, as it had a 7.5" barrel and I didn't care for the length. I like the cartridge, though, so when the Vaquero came out, I waited until the rush died down and I bought one about 8 years ago.

Do you shoot the Peacemaker much? What's the barrel length on it? .45, .44, or something else?

BobG said...

The 45 is a 4 5/8" barrel, the 44 is a 7 1/2" barrel, and the Bisley is probably about 5 to 5 1/2". I like to take the Bisley out now and then. It is a bit odd to shoot because of the curve of the grip; why they thought that was better on a target pistol puzzles me.
The SuperBlackhawk was my deer hunting gun for quite a while, especially in areas where a long gun was awkward such as in brush and thick trees.

Comrade Misfit said...

For the same reason, I used to go deer hunting with a 6" S&W Model 29. I never got much of a chance to shoot at a deer there (VT) and my feeling was since I wasn't going to shoot at anything, I might as well carry a handgun.