Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Sunday, August 10, 2008

South Ossetia

I have no idea what is going on. I don't know if Russia staged an incident to goad the Georgians into doing something stupid or if the Georgians gambled that, with Putin and other world leaders at the Olympics, that they could crush the South Ossetians before the Russians could react. It could be that the Georgians are just a pawn; the Russians may be sending a signal that they are not happy that they were disregarded in the Kosavar independence bit and that in future, it would be better not to disregard the Russians.

I just don't know.

In other news, I came home to a need to wash Gracie's ass. I was gone two nights, I left out plenty of food, water and an extra litter box. Other than one pee into the new litter box, they used the regular ones to the point of disgustingness. George was evidently not pleased that his favorite litter box was dirty, so he left little calling cards in different places.

I went by the range to test-fire an old rifle.

I made this rifle up over 20 years ago. It is an Interarms Mk-X long Mauser action fitted with a 22" military surplus barrel in .30-06. The scope is a Weaver K4 and the stock is wood with a Monte-Carlo stype swell on it for scope use. Other than the action, I bought all of the other parts through Shotgun News.

I hadn't shot it in fifteen years. I bought some 165gr. Remington Core-Lockt fodder from the Root of All Evil Discount Store and fired it from a bench rest at a public range. Three shots at 25 yards went right into point of aim. So I moved the target back to 100 yards; three shots went into a nice little 3-leaf clover group 3" above the point of aim.

Some other guy had a huge bolt-action rifle shooting .50 BMG rounds. It looked like a Barrett, but I didn't get too close. That was the loudest gun I've ever heard which wasn't mounted to the deck of a warship. There were the usual idiots shooters taking pleasure in seeing how quickly they could shoot through 30-round magazines in AR-15s and AK-74s. Whatever turns them on, I guess. Nine rounds and I was done for the day.

4 comments:

Earl said...

I have noticed many people liking to spend lots of bullets in automatic fire, but I think they are trying to follow the movies having little experience in grazing fire, beaten zones and six to nine round bursts.

A very nice rifle, and nine is perfect if they landed right where you wanted them. Which is how shooting should be.

Comrade Misfit said...

I had to look up "grazing fire," which seems to be a relative of "spray and pray." Anyway, few of those guys were shooting those rifles at targets more than 30' away, which to my mind, is about as challenging as hitting a couch with a baseball bat.

Earl said...

Governments seem to have lots of money for many many bullets, and grazing fire helps secure one's defensive wire from ground troops, but in the end, the dead zones have to be covered by mines and indirect fire weapons - more weight and we love trucks to carry all this stuff, by the time the enemy is at thirty feet from you - you wonder if someone has made a mistake or if the hole is deep enough to hide more buddies in.

Comrade Misfit said...

Earl,

I'll take your word for it. My GQ station was either in Main Control or at a sonar plot, so most of the time, I wound up reading a book.