Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Strongly Stupid



I don't know what the hell he expected to be able to see down the barrel of that shotgun. Other than what he almost saw: The Grim Reaper, who probably would have given his soul a good dope slap.

Hangfires do happen. They are rare in factory-loaded ammunition. But if someone is in the habit of liberally lubricating their firearm with WD-40. loading it and storing it, that'll do it. WD-40 is a penetrating oil and it will contaminate primers to the point of either killing them or causing hangfires.

And if those were reloads, all bets are off. Oil and primers don't mix.

9 comments:

Nangleator said...

Wow. Yes, just what did he expect to see?

bob said...

What did he expect to see? The Lord God Almighty. He came about as you can come to taking a dirt nap as I have seen anyone get. It would have been a close casket event.

We had a very long and precise procedure for clearing hung rounds in the M-109 (155 MM Howitzers) that still gives me the chills. It was not for the faint of heart, but no where in the procedure were you expect or requested to directly down the barrel or up into the breech. Most of the procedure was wait until the round cooks off.

Nangleator said...

"Most of the procedure was wait until the round cooks off."

While questioning your choice of career?

Comrade Misfit said...

Probably the most dangerous situation (other than looking down the fucking barrel) is to open the breech on a hangfire. If the round cooks off then, it is a Bad Thing. Hatcher's Notebook has a discussion about that.

w3ski said...

Back in early 70's, when I was new at Reloading Ammo, "CCI" brand made more than a few boxes of small pistol primers with the occasional defective primer. >38 goes Click?< when I began to research that in the magazines I found it wasn't just me.
I have only used Federal brand primers in all my weapons since and never had that happen again.
There was also the one that had a good primer and no powder tho. Just enough oomph to put that slug half way down the barrel. I "heard" that tho, thank kolos.
That was the end of my progressieve reloader machine.
Some shit is just too funky and risky, even for me.
155mm random cook offs??? Not enough 'depends' in the world.
w3ski

OldRetiredDude said...

I have had problems with CCI primers as well, will never use them again. As for the video, there's stupid, and then there's SCARY stupid!

Comrade Misfit said...

Decades ago, I shot an an indoor range where you could only use range ammo. One day, when firing .44 Specials through my M-29, I got one of those little "putt" sounds that indicated that only a primer had gone off. The range master pushed the slug back out and I resumed shooting. Two cylinder later, I got another one. He pushed that bullet back out, I gave him the rest of the box of rounds back and I quit for the day.

When I pulled out my wallet to pay the range fee, he refused it. I didn't insist. :)

The New York Crank said...

This guy almost became a candidate for the Charles Darwin Award. "Nominees significantly improve the gene pool by eliminating themselves from the human race in an obviously stupid way." Details here: http://www.darwinawards.com/rules/

A surprising number of nominees qualify by doing something you wouldn't believe – either with a firearm, or ammo (or some part therefrom.)

I have nothing against the Second Amendment, but I am slowly coming around to the view that a person seeking to purchase or use a firearm ought to be required to pass an intelligence test.

Crankily yours,
The New York Crank

Eck! said...

That was the stupid showing in the video. However the shooting bottles at close range suggested more ad badder things were up. The general handling said fail was about to happen.

Had a few of those, 1977 at the bath rod and gun. Hang fires from CCI low brass 12ga, skeet load. the first one I use stood there and pulled the hammer back again (Ithica M66 single shot) took maybe 10 seconds to go. 10 rounds later again, this one was a full minute of standing there with the business end down range. Never bought them again, shot federal and reloads.

The last thing I'd so is open the breech or do anything that didn't have the end with the big hole pointed in a safe direction.


Eck!