Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Bangity

I played at the local bowling pin match.


Those pins are set for .38/.357.

It was my first time at a match. With my Model 19, I was able to clear the table all three times without having to shoot twice at a pin. My time wasn't too hot, a skosh over nine seconds each run.

I did slightly worse with a Ruger Blackhawk. There, the rules are that you have to just knock the pin over and you shoot at four pins per run for three runs. I missed one pin, but I did get it with a followup shot.

With a .38 snubbie, I shot at three pins and, again, I had to just knock them over. One run took three shots, one four, and one all five in the cylinder.

For 9mm, you shoot at seven pins and you have to clear them from the table. My first run took eight shots. Second run, then and I timed out on the third run. That was frustrating.

I was shooting for accuracy, not speed. Which is good, because I wear progressive lenses, and finding the sweet spot to pick up the front sight seemed to take a second or two.

It was a lot of fun. If you have an opportunity to shoot in a match, you should.

7 comments:

w3ski said...

Now that you have a taste for the pins, downsize to golf balls for the accuracy.
w3ski

Comrade Misfit said...

I don't have a .22 handgun.

w3ski said...

Heck, I don't use my .22 snubbie for the golf balls either. I use my .45 ACP with 185 grain hollow points. It Really smacks the golf balls well.
Amazing what you can hit with practice.
Remember a .45 is almost half an inch in diameter, that gives you a lot of leeway. The old pistoleros at the turn of the Century used to shoot playing cards edgewise with a .45.
Push your envelope Comrade, especially on your own.
You will be rewarded.
Try it you will be amazed, any old golf ball works and the confidence you build is a lifetime gift.
w3ski

w3ski said...

Remember , with golf balls it "number of hits per clip".
As the range changes after each hit it is totally experience with your weapon and sights that allows further hits.
8 for 8 is a perfect score and darned hard, till you get the 'slip' of distance sighting."Kentucky Windage" my Daddy called it.
I totally respect pin shooting but a varying range puts all that in a more deadly perspective, and more "aw shit" capable as in the real world.
I have a personal problem with fixed targets at fixed ranges. It is good for all of us to shoot at varying distances, yes?
But then any burning of the sacred powder is a good event and great practice too.
w3ski

bearsense said...

I think you explained my problem with front-sight acquisition ...... the progressive lenses
What distance are the pins set ???.
Thax

Comrade Misfit said...

25' to the front of the table, so maybe 28' for the .38 pins. I have other glasses that might have worked better. What I have to do is experiment and see which one are better for picking up the front sight.

OldRetiredDude said...

I had shooting glasses made with prescription lenses, the right one with a focal point about 3 feet in front of me, the left is set for distance, allowing me to see the front sight and targets with both eyes open...works great once you get used to it!