Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Monday, November 24, 2008

Change of Pace

With all of the economic news crashing around the news sites, I felt the need for something to lift my spirit up.



But, as I said six months ago, go watch it full screen here.

October was a gorgeous month for flying. November, not so much. Two weeks ago, the weather was shitty. A week ago, there were strong winds blowing directly across the runway. This last weekend, the temps were in the 20s with a brisk wind on Saturday and a crosswind yesterday. Having to pre-heat an airplane's engine in a cold wind is almost as much fun as dental work.

I did make up for it, a little, by going to the pistol range on Saturday. At 25', my first two shots from an Old Vaquero .45 went right into the center of the target. If I had any sense, I'd have quit then. I didn't do so well with the succeeding shots, but I was doing better shooting that big thumb-buster with one hand than the guy next to me was doing with his .45 Sig in a two-handed grip.

But given my druthers, I'd rather fly than shoot. At least I can still manage to afford to fly once or twice a month. If you fly and if you are crazy enough to own your own airplane, you have to make a lot of choices. It's one of the reasons why I live in a small apartment than a house, but it is *my* choice. I refer you to the first "word of advice" at the top of this blog.

Maybe I'll fly next weekend. That's what happens when your avocation is so dependent on the cooperation of Mother Nature.

1 comment:

Mark Rossmore said...

Reading your flying stories always make me want to get back in the cockpit. I'm so frustrated that I can't afford to even look at an airplane right now, much less rent one or get my bi-annual done.

So, I just settle for talking to them.