Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sad, Just Sad

I was at a small airport today. A Stinson 108 was on one of the grass tiedowns. From its appearance, it has not flown in several years. Vines were growing up the side of it and had reached the venturiis that are in front of the pilot's door.

When I see one like that, I never know what the story is. Did the owner get sick and lose his medical or maybe he fell on hard times? Is he even alive? If not, does the executor of his estate even know of the airplane? I did not take a close look, but after that many years, it's a fair bet that the tiedown ropes are not in very good condition. One more hard thunderstorm and that could be the end of a sixty year old airplane.

Airplanes are meant to fly. People who cannot keep them flying should sell them or even give them to someone who can. If you love airplanes, seeing one rotting away on a tiedown is one of the saddest sights in aviation.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

I can only imagine this must have been an incredibly sad sight.

Your statement that airplanes are meant to fly touched me. I had the opportunity recently to see three World War II bombers flying. What a sight!!

I am thankful, though, for the Air and Space Museum. Yes, I love the Smithsonian.

You comments on the Bush Administration are quite interesting. Although that could be because I feel the same on so many things.

All in all, I must say, a job well done. Which leads me to tell you...

You've been included in the newest installment of Surfer's Paradise.

I hope the link serves you well.

Comrade Misfit said...

Thank you for the honor.

I do like the Smithsonian, but an airplane on display is about as alive as a plasticized corpse. It is the sight of one flying, the smell of hot oil and the bone-rattling sound of a radial engine or a V-12 Merlin that brings the airplane to life. Seeing a UH-1 Huey in a museum is a paltry experience compared to the "blade whap" of one flying towards you.

Museums are better than nothing. They are a poor substitute for seeing the airplanes fly.