Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Light a Candle to Stop Violence

Weer'd Beard has suggested as follows:
So the Brady Bunch are planning Candle-light vigils on January 8th to “Stop Gun Violence”. Now many have pointed out what a stupid and pointless gesture that is, also many are noting the dwindling numbers of people willing to come out in the cold with a candle for the sake of their lost cause.

I propose a display that will show we have the same goals, but our side is actually interested in results.

So on January 8th I ask everybody to post a picture of a lit candle and your carry gun. Because lit candles don’t do a whole lot but cast a meager amount of light…but a loaded gun in the hands of lawful citizens can do wonders to protect innocent lives from harm.
I'm in.


The weapons are a PPK/s and a .38 snubbie.[1] Both are somewhat old-school, as they are steel-framed guns.

It has been brought out, in more than one court case, that the police are there to protect "society". They don't exist to protect you or me. I have had first-hand experience with calling the cops for a violent incident; the response time was about a quarter of an hour.[2] I would much rather be the lady who the 9-1-1 dispatchers listen to as she takes her attackers under fire than the one that the dispatchers listen to as she is raped and/or murdered.

Samuel Colt had it right: Guns are equalizers. I am physically no match for a strapping twenty-something intruder, especially if he is armed with a large knife or a bludgeon. But with a gun, I have a chance. A gun is not a majick talisman, but it does provide a chance to survive an attack by a bad guy who is close to a third of my age and half-again my size.

And that is all I ask.

____________________
[1] Yes, I know I'm a big fan of the .45 cartridge. But even in a smallish gun, they are not as concealable as either of these two.
[2] I've lived in places where that would be exceedingly fast, even if they came Code 3.

6 comments:

OldRetiredDude said...

The police are there to clean up and do paperwork after the fact, we are all responsible for our own safety. Good for you. I carry a custom STI Ranger .45 and my wife a little .22 Berreta.

w3ski said...

I have an Old, High Standard snubbie.
It's only .22lr but it's got 9 Hollow Points in that cylinder and more than one deer to it's credit.
I've been shooting this revolver since the early 1960's when my Dad bought it for me to learn on before we stepped up to his .45acp.
It's so small as to be invisible in a pocket.
w3ski

Eck! said...

I also put my piece down to paper.

I am against violence but it arrives because violence is not law its what hates the law.

Those that deny us rights and offer the government rights to extend control to ares they shall not infringe are a danger.


So I hold the light on those that sanction denying me a chance to defend myself and those cowards will not make it safe for me.

In the end it's not what you shoot, only that you can.

Eck!

Bridget Magnus said...

I don't actually own a gun, despite the fact that multiple people have told me I should get a concealed carry permit. Please accept my thinking of a candle next to the gun people think I need.

bob said...

It is unfortunate that in the two cases where the police have been called out to my resident (30 minutes and 45 minutes after placing the calls), the police were more interested in the fact that I had discharged a weapon within the confines of my house which is located within the city, rather than the fact that I had to discharge a weapon in order to protect my self.

In both cases I hit the target (Blood Trails). The individuals were later found while seeking medical attention to their wounds.

In both cases because of the type of ammunition used (22. Cal LR Hollow Point) precluded the use of ballistic analysis. The projectiles were mangled to the point that there were not enough lans or groves present on what was left to track back to any weapon. Weight and size of entry wound indicated that it was most probably a .22 Cal.
No exit wound.

I now have two 22 Cal weapons in IBIS, not to worry, these weapons have been retired.

Just a side note the creation of the Modern Police Force is a direct results of the riots experienced in 1844 in the cities of Boston and New York. These riots were the results of America first "Great Depression". The police were created to protect the state not the people.

Comrade Misfit said...

Bridget, owning a gun is a personal choice. I make it a point to try and not recommend to people whether or not they should own one. (Just as I don't want other people making that decision for me.)