Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Friday, January 22, 2016

I Pass-- 1911A1 Edition

"[The CMP] has no idea on the condition of the pistols in inventory. But, based on their experience with M1 Garand the CMP expects there will be Rack Grade, Field Grade, Service Grade, and Collector Grade pistols available and that [Chief Operating Officer Mark Johnson] expects 10% to be in the worst condition, 10% to be in the best condition, and the rest somewhere in the middle. (He later added that the CMP will thoroughly inspect, repair, and test fire all pistols prior to sale).

"The pricing is expected to start at about $1,000 per pistol with the better grades 'priced accordingly.' "
To my mind, that's kind of pricey for a heavily-used 1911, even if it was bought by the Army during the Second World War or before. It's not like Garands, where there's not exactly a lot of choice if you want one. There is no shortage of companies making 1911s.

If you're jonesing for a WW2 1911A1, well, then maybe you might want one.

Otherwise, I vote: "Meh."

6 comments:

Big Sweetie said...

Meh, indeed!

The New York Crank said...

I had one of those back in my Army days. I was a machine gunner, and had to carry this particular sidearm. The general consensus was, if the enemy was coming straight for you, you'd have a better chance of killing him by throwing the damn pistol at him that my trying to hit him with a bullet. It kicked upward so hard, I had the feeling that if you pointed it at the ground and fired, you'd knock a robin out of a tree.

That said, once at a Fort Dix firing range I shot an entire clip and actually got three bullets in a target. Unfortunately, it wasn't the target I was firing at. It was the target of the colonel on my right. (I was a private.) I must say, the officer was an officer and a gentleman. He didn't scream. He didn't curse. He didn't try to punish me. But if looks could kill, I'd be writing this from the grave.

Yours crankily,
The New York Crank

Comrade Misfit said...

I had no problem hitting a silhouette target at 50' with any of the 1911s in the ships' armories.

Robert Fowler said...

I carried a WWII vintage sidearm in the 70's. Good solid pistol because luck of the draw. I shot it reasonably well. If I could buy that pistol today, I wouldn't give over 5 or 6 hundred for it.

B said...

Apparently now we know why New Yorkers are so afraid of guns....?

I mean, I know a 12 year old girl who can't weigh 80 Lbs who can shoot a full size 1911 competently....

Will said...

In the early 90's, a friend in the USAF-R had to qualify with a .45 to maintain crew rating, even though they were generally issued Berettas for security purposes. He ended up taking a rack full of 1911's apart and swapping parts around to build one tight enough to consistently hit near were it was aimed. He said that minute-of-barn was about the best the rest could do.

He was trying to get the CO's permission to carry his Colt Officers .45acp in place of a Beretta. He said that his ability to conceal it with his full shoulder holster rig(Aker) under his flight suit was looked upon as a point in his favor, as the 9mm was so big and bulky that few people required to carry it could manage to make it less than obvious in anything less than a parka. I gathered that he proved he could during a security breach exercise. I assume he got the ok, due to his mentioning that a number of the other guys in the group/squadron(?) were asking if the rig could be obtained for the Beretta/M9 or the M11(Sig?).