Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Bangity Time

Today was the club bullseye match. They're running an 1800 match, which is a rimfire 900 match and a centerfire 900 match. Freaking ungodly hot, with 90+ temps and heat indices of around 100.  I only shot the rimfire match.

12 days ago, I went to the range and realized that I had forgotten to order a new sear and trigger for my 22/45. So I ordered a Volquartsen target hammer and sear from Rimfire Sports. About $58, with shipping.

I pulled the gun apart Thursday night and installed the parts. I had my laptop on the table with video instructions cued up. (Or, if you prefer text directions.)

I should have taken photos. Compared to the mirror-polish on the Volquartsen sear, the stock sear looks like a rough sand-casting. Just installing that should clean up a trigger pull. The target hammer has adjustments for takeup and over-travel. There, you have to be careful that you don't have the adjustment screws tightened down far enough to prevent the gun from working. I set it for just a touch of takeup and overtravel. I went to the range yesterday for a function check. I did have to make a couple of tweaks to the pretravel screw.

It now shoots like a dream. The trigger is smooth, it doesn't have the gritty feeling as before. But after over 500 rounds through the stock lashup, I find that I have to get used to the feel of the new one. I went from "jeebus, when is this fucking gun going to fire" to "holy shit, it went off". Gotta be on target at all times, now.

The results? My score improved from 745-7X in the previous match to 767-8X. Still lots of room for improvement, especially in 50-yard slow fire, but now it's all on me. Which is as it should be.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Very nice! And more time will improve the feel every range trip!