Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Hey, FAA, Foxtrot Oscar Alpha Delta; ADS-B Edition

According to FAR 91.225, the FAA wants me to to equip my old airplane with the crap necessary to broadcast to ADS-B by 2020.

Thing is, I don't fly anywhere that I need to be able to do that. I don't fly IFR and, by my count, I've been above 10,000' MSL exactly once.

In order to comply with the rule, I'd have to put a piece of kit into my airplane that will cost five or six grand or so, and that's just for the box(es). It doesn't factor in the cost of installation.

So the FAA wants me to spend six large or so to install a piece of electronics that does nothing for me.

Here's a better idea: Since I don't fly anyway where I would need ADS-B(out), I also don't fly in airspace where I would need a Mode C transponder. So if I'm not going to install ADS-B, then I might as well just rip out the fucking Mode C transponder. That'll be less crap to maintain.

p.s., AOPA, thanks for nothing.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come to Australia where by early 2017 *all* IFR aircraft must have ADSB-out.

Bizarely, VFR is not yet mandated for ADSB but all new transponders must be ADSB-capable.
(I suspect that situation exists because apart from some choke-points we don't have the traffic volumes of the USA)

There are all sorts of transition rules and requirements.

The cost of buying and fitting a certified GPS and transponder is around USD 18k.

Murphy's Law said...

Ah, the FAA again. Sucking the fun out of flying since 1958.

Chuck Pergiel said...

Sounds kind of bass-ackwards. They want you to install some kind of tracker so they can tell if you are in an area where you need a tracker. If you don't have one, they won't know that you are not there. Kind of like revoking the license of someone who doesn't have one.

Comrade Misfit said...

Since modern ATC radar scopes are reportedly really sucky at displaying primary radar returns, they indeed might not know you're there.

Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity, is that your Stinson at the top of the page (either of the two, actually)? If so, it is gorgeous.

CenterPuke88 said...

Comrade, primary radar isn't terrible, but it is flaky. Of course, with the latest upgrade, we no longer get primary weather returns (very useful to see where weather really is vs where NEXRAD says it is) because the military didn't want to pay for it and the geniuses at Wilbur and Orville saw no need for it.

Comrade Misfit said...

Anon 10:51, neither one. I wish, though....

Old NFO said...

Yep, the 'new' radar sucks at primary skin paint... And Big Brother wants to WATCH you...

Comrade Misfit said...

I'm thinking a NORDO airplane is in my future.

Joe said...

Looks like the price might be coming down, soon, if I read this navworks catalog correctly.

Sarah said...

My soaring club, having recently refurbished a super cub is looking at another $5k-$10k for the 2020 ADSB mandate. We operate inside the 30 mile "veil" of a class B. I'm not sure what the local fleet of semi-antique airplanes is going to do. If it has an electrical system, there's going to be some pain. Looks like the price of antique cubs, champs, etc are going up again.

If you have no reason to visit inside a bravo or charlie airspace - and don't mind staying below 10000 feet - there's no reason to get the ADSB, right? It does sting though. Some more airspace that it's not legal to fly in without big money.