Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Self-Defense and Violence

There is a lot of food for thought in this post.

If someone breaks into your home while you are in there, in all probability, he intends to kill you. Professional burglars make certain that a home is unoccupied before breaking in.

The hardest point for people to understand may be this: If a criminal grabs your wife or kid and tells you that he won't hurt the hostage if you surrender, that is the wrong thing to do. Shoot the fucker if you can or run away, but doing what a hostage-taker wants will only lead to disaster. If he says that he will kill your kid if you don't surrender, the odds are that he was going to kill the child anyway. Only if you surrender, then he gets to kill you, as well. But if you surrender, he gets to kill both of you at his leisure.

(H/T)

From a few years back, my one experience with this issue.

7 comments:

bob said...

Many years ago someone broke into my house while I home. I kept a load weapon near my bed, after securing my girl friend in the closet, I crawled out of the room, and was laying in the hallway. The individual heard me cock the weapon, he turned with his right hand out, and when he could not see anyone in the direction that he heard the sound from he jumped through the window.

All of the noise he made getting out of area, caused several 911 calls. They noticed that I was boarding up my window, and stopped to question me.

The police were really upset that I had not called them, and that I intended to kill the intruder.

I told them that there was not much point to calling them in that all they would or could do is take a report.

I invoked my Miranda rights, asked them to leave

I still keep a loaded weapon, but now it is cocked.

Nangleator said...

Chances are good, if someone is breaking into your house at night, he's doing it with the help of a score of his buddies, with the support of millions of his gang at his back.

And he wants nothing in this world so much as you pulling a weapon on him.

Improbable Joe said...

I've got an alarm, and a dog, and an upstairs bedroom. Anyone comes in at night and in the face of a barking dog and an alarm decides to climb the stairs, and I'm within my rights to shoot him dead.

Any guy who grabs my wife, the only thing keeping him alive is her. She dies, he dies. He drops his weapon, I might let him live.

Dr. Bubbles said...

Just out of curiosity: is invoking Miranda rights, like bob in #1, likely to make cops look for reasons to bust you? I'm cynical enough to think so, but that's my only reason.

Comrade Misfit said...

Nangleator, I think you are vry wrong. Criminals do not want to get into gunfights with anyone. There is no profit to them in being shot. And I have heard of zero home invasions that take place with a large gang of goons. They are usually two or three, they come prepared to intimidate and then to kill, not to fight.

If they've come armed to invade your home, you are no worse off in gunfighting than you would be in surrender.

Bob, if someone tries to break into your house, call the cops. Even if they won't be there for 30 minutes, call them. You're making the record by doing so and it is your story that becomes the guiding narrative.

Nangleator said...

Comrade, I refer to the gang that wears blue and often breaks into the wrong house... and doesn't care, as long as they leave with bloody victims.

w3ski said...

I was told years ago by an off duty 'city cop' to lock you and yours in the bath with the shotgun.If the knob turns cock the shotgun, if you then hear Anything but feet, shoot throgh the door.
Got to willing to kill if you ever pull a gun, my Dad taught me that. And, I practise enough to take that hostage shot."I pity the fool".
w3ski
PS 2 x 110 pound Saint Bernard dogs kinda help too.