Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Never Feel Sorry for Anyone Who Owns an Airplane

Take it from me: When it comes to what it costs, those of us who own airplanes are economic imbeciles.

My annual was not terribly cheap, between three and four grand. Part of that was because a cylinder had to be removed for reworking because the valves were not sealing properly.

On the second flight after the annual was done, there was a decent oil leak. I figured that it was the pushrod seals from that cylinder; no big deal. So did my mechanic.

We were both wrong. It was the oil cooler.[1] That was a bit over a grand to fix, between the new cooler (OK, a rebuilt one) and the hoses and labor.[2]

The joys of owning an airplane. I keep telling myself that I'd never be able to rent anything like it, that I'd have to fly generic 172s and comparable Pipers. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but they are nowhere near as much fun to fly.


Airplane owners are certifiable, I think.

[1]I try not to think about what would have happened if the oil cooler had completely split. At the least, the insurance company would now own an airplane.
[2]The wrecked economy has done a number on my income, as well.

5 comments:

Jim_Pickering said...

Just curious, but the pics at the top look like Howard DGA-8's and I don't think I've ever seen two of them in the same pic. Haven't flown a Howard in many years since I gave up using them for a parachute club at an old field now abandoned and sold to developers.

I envy you since I lost my medical two years ago after 55 years of flying and 32 years of flight instructing.

Nangleator said...

My own personal Great Depression condemned me to probably never flying again.

I'm holding on to a sliver of hope I'll be able to pick up a nice ultralight in my retirement. But by then, they may be illegal.

Comrade Misfit said...

Stinson Gullwings, Jim.

Nangelator, if the economy improves a little by next year, I may sell it.

CalvinsMom said...

Boat owners are just as crazed. My in-laws are in a constant state of dumping money into a big wooden boat.

Comrade Misfit said...

The cost term is "AMU", for "Aircraft Maintenance Unit."

1 AMU is $1,000.