Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Hours I Will Never Get Back in My Life- Movie Edition

I've seen some movies that I thought were G-d-awful. Here's a list in no particular order, and yes, I saw all but one of them in movie theaters:

Hard Times. Why I chose to plunk down good money to watch a movie about how hard life was in the Depression was beyond me. I got enough of those stories when I was a kid. If I wanted more, all I had to do was ask my dad or my uncles or my aunts. I walked out after fifteen minutes.

Star Trek- the Motion Picture. If the ST fans were not so loyal, this movie should have killed the franchise off. It was over two hours long; it felt as though it was four hours long. What they did was take the script from the ST episode The Changling, stretched the hell out of it, put in some special effects and put the crew in uniforms that looked like onesies. This movie sucked so bad that Gene Roddenberry was not allowed to produce the Wrath of Khan, which was a far better movie.

If You Could See What I Hear. It was supposed to be a "light comedy". Anyone who watched this movie more than once was at risk for type 2 diabetes. At the time, I was in a relationship where we traded off choosing movies to go see. I hated this movie so much that my next pick was Conan the Barbarian. Speaking of which....

Conan the Destroyer. Conan the Barbarian was actually pretty decent. It had some tangential relationship to the Robert E. Howard stories. This one, however, did not and there was not a single person in the movie who could act worth a damn. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Grace Jones and Wilt Chamberlain were the leads, which should have told me that the movie was going to be a real celluloid catastrophe. And it was.

Return of the Jedi, or "Cute Little Stone-Age Teddy Bears Take Down the Evil Empire". This movie should have been the first real clue for me that George Lucas had become convinced that he was a god of the cinema. It was one of the first movies that I saw where I was wishing for more casualties in the combat scenes, like 100% or better.

Naked Gun 33-1/3: The Final Insult. This one should have been called "Stretching a Comedic Gag Too Far." The co-stars included O.J. Simpson and Anna Nicole Smith. Enough said.

The English Patient. This one was touted as "the Casablanca of the `90s". Yes, it would have been, but only if if all of the leads in Casablanca were played by venal characters who made the Nazis look sympathetic in comparison. Besides that, the movie was so long that even if I had any sympathy for the characters at the beginning, I wanted them all to die 30 minutes before the credits rolled.

The Mummy Returns. The 1999 Mummy movie was one of my favorites. This one, however, was the epitome of sequel suckitude. My rule is now that all sequels suck until proven otherwise.

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. "Confessions of an egomanical retard" was more like it. This was another "get up and walk out" flick.

Burn After Reading. That is what the studio bosses should have done when they were given the script. This movie probably was one of the "these guys are really good, it can't be too bad" greenlight decisions. It's sort of the same way that a lot of Robert Parker and Patricia Cornwall novels got published. When I saw this movie, over 3/4ths of the audience walked out on it. I should have gone with them.

Jin-Roh. When I once remarked to an acquaintance that I had never seen an anime movie, he gave me the DVD and insisted that I watch it. It was dumber than dogshit. It convinced me that a good rule of thumb was "anime fans = male virgins". (And why those assassins were so in love with the "broomhandle Mauser", a weapon that was obsolete when the Luger went into production in 1900, is beyond me.)

There is another list I could do, of movies that I have seen parts of on the tube and would never ever watch from start to finish, but that's a post for another time.

5 comments:

Nangleator said...

Google Red Mike's reviews. There aren't many, but if you've been punished by one of those movies, Red Mike will make you feel better.

The 9-part takedowns of Episode 1 and Episode 2 on Youtube are absolutely fantastic. The reviewer is a demonically-possessed serial killer, but he has great insight into why George Lucas sucks.

Anonymous said...

I found that the even Star Trek movies were good and the odd sucked. Then I stopped watching them, so I don't know if this holds up throughout the too long run of movies.

Comrade Misfit said...

#3 was ruined for me because they cast Christopher Lloyd as the Klingon commander. He's a good actor, but it was back then the show Taxi was running, so I kept giggling throughout the movie at the idea that Jim Ignatowski was a Klingon.

smellsofbikes said...

I dunno if Miyazaki's movies count as anime, but I do like most of his stuff. It doesn't always make SENSE but they're usually funny, charming, and generally enjoyable. In rough order of goodness, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Laputa, and a number of others.
But aside from his stuff it's hard to find other stuff that I think has any power or impact beyond the genre itself, and I watch a lot of anime sometimes.

Anonymous said...

If you love airplanes, you'll like Miyazaki's Porco Rosso