Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Some Things I Won't Do Again

If I want to shoot centerfire rifles, I have my choice of two public ranges. One is 35 miles away, one is fifty miles away. But because of the difference in roads, they are the same travel time from my home.

I went shooting yesterday, and I took these rifles, Mosin-Nagant 91/30s:



First mistake: Time of day and season. Because of the low height of the Sun in the Winter and the direction of the range, I was shooting more or less into the Sun. The glare of the Sun in the open sights of the first rifle made it almost unshootable. In order to shoot it from a rest, I had to hold one hand over the rear sight to block out the sun. Or I could stand up into the shade from the roof over the firing points. Neither led to good results.

Second mistake: Shooting two rifles with ComBloc surplus cartridges. Those rounds have primers which generate corrosive salts. To properly clean them, you have to remove the actions from the barrels and then, using a funnel with a hose (a "transmission funnel" from the auto-supply store works well), pour boiling hot water down the bore of the rifle in order to wash the salts out. Then you clean the bore and everything else carefully with the bore cleaner of your choice. (I don't use Hoppes #9, for I do not have an outdoor area to clean weapons.)

Doing that to two rifles took a lot longer than I wanted, so I'll go back to shooting only one rifle at a time.

But I did manage to break loose my wallet and splurged for a larger flashcard for my camera. The old one, which I bought when I got the camera, was a 256Mb card. The new one, which was about 40% the price of the old one, is a 2MbGb card. It will hold about 800 shots at the most detailed resolution setting for the camera. There have been times when I had to ration exposures, but not any more.

That should thrill the fur right off of my cats.

7 comments:

Zdogk9 said...

Remove the bolt. Stick the muzzle in a pan of boiling water. run a jag and patch up and down the bore untill the water coming out is clear and the barrel feels hot to your hand. Clean with #9, makes the hous smell right.

Comrade Misfit said...

Sorry, I'm not about to stink up the inside of my place with that stuff. Until I found an alternative, I just stopped shooting in cold weather.

Jim said...

I hope that was a 2Gb card ? But I know how nice it is not to worry about how many pictures you can take. I was at the AF Museum in Dayton and wished I had more storage....

Comrade Misfit said...

Good catch, Jim.

Earl said...

Not that I think anything will come of it, I did write my Congressman and told him that according to the 2nd Amendment I expected the governments, State and Federal to build more public firing ranges, and have rifles and ammunition available for those Militia that can't afford their own.

Still having looked at his voting record he needed to know he has one 2nd Amendment citizen to represent... he is a representative isn't he?

Comrade Misfit said...

Earl, while I like your idea, I hope you sent that letter via e-mail. That way, you're not out the cost of the stamp.

SordidPanda said...

If you can get your hands on some Wolf Gold 150 gr FMJ you won't have to worry about corrosive salts, and it is supposed to shoot like Russian 7N1 sniper ammo.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=614792

Good shooting.