Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Friday, September 2, 2011

I Feel the Need to Rot My Brain a Little

So I'm going to plug in a DVD of Blazing Saddles.

Later...

6 comments:

LRod said...

I saw Blazing Saddles once, back in first run. Of course there were some hilarious, even quotable, moments. Never saw it a second time in the theaters, and there was no point seeing it butchered for TV. Fast forward thirty or so years and I found a DVD in a bargain bin somewhere. "Ah, ha," I said, "I'll re-live some of my yout'."

I guess I've changed, and I'm sure people who hate political correctness will hate me, but that was the most uncomfortable movie to watch since Reefer Madness or The Birth of a Nation (or any Ayn Rand movie).

Really—I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

LRod
ZJX, ORD, ZAU retired

BadTux said...

LRod, Richard Pryor wrote all the black jokes, and Mel Brooks wrote all the Jew jokes. Other than the ending (which sucked), Blazing Saddles was/is a brilliant send-up of racism, crony capitalism, the common clay of the New West, and pretty much every other sacred cow you'll have ever heard of. If you find it uncomfortable, well, you're supposed to, a little -- it's the kind of movie where you're wincing as you're laughing.

- Badtux the Movie Critic Penguin

Joe said...

Pryor is also skewering American racial myths from the black side. All those "trickster" legends take a severe beating, for example. It took me years to notice that. That was when I finally figured out how good Richard Pryor really was.

Comrade Misfit said...

I saw the movie in the theater in a town that was about 60% Jewish. When the Yiddish-speaking Indians attacked the wagon train, I could barely hear the movie over the laughter.

LRod, "Birth of a Nation" took itself seriously. "Blazing Saddles" is a huge parody, complete with "4th wall" dialogue. Hell, when they got Frankie Lane to sing the theme song, they didn't dare tell him that it was a parody for fear of affecting his performance.

bob said...

I didn't get a "harrumph" out of that guy.

or

Holy underwear! Sheriff murdered! Innocent women and children blown to bits! We have to protect our phoney baloney jobs here, gentlemen! We must do something about this immediately! Immediately! Immediately! Harrumph! Harrumph! Harrumph!

For our current President maybe it should say Economy murdered, home owners and small business blown to bits

LRod said...

Wasn't comparing the movies other than to say they were uncomfortable to watch.

Yes, Pryor was a genius. Some of the funniest stuff I ever heard was from him.

LRod
ZJX, ORD, ZAU retired