Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Sunday, January 29, 2017

No, People, I am Not Kidding: Play Nice.

Gentle Readers, please pay heed. I asked you all to play nice.

I fucking well mean it.

When I write my blog posts, I'll be as mean and sarky as I desire. My targets are usually captains of industry and politicians-- if they don't have a skin that's sufficiently hardened to suffer the slings and arrows of affronts, then they need to go find other work.

But when you write a comment and you are directing it to another commenter, you are responding to someone who is probably a private citizen. That is why Rule 2.A says this, in part:
Play nice. This is my place, you do not get to shit on my floor. You are free to disagree with me and with each other, but please do it nicely. Do not use words that you would not use face-to-face. Please give each other the courtesy and respect due to a person who is armed.
You feel like debating another commenter (or me), then have at it. Civil debate is not an insult contest. Do not accuse the other person of "suffering from XYZ Derangement Syndrome" or "drinking the Kool-Aid."*

If someone slips in a comment that's a personal attack on you, hold your fire. This isn't a kindergarten-- The "But he started it" defense will cut no ice here. Adult up.

I am as serious as a heart attack, people. I will enforce this.

Please do not test me.
________________________________
*I thought about having a "one counterpunch" rule in that if A insults B, B gets to respond, once. And then it ends. But, nah.

8 comments:

JEG43 said...

I don't know how much control you have over commenters. I hate to see you have to 'lock threads". Can you block individuals, or do you have to delete individual comments?
I read a blog that has so much nasty crap in its comments that I have stopped reading them.
For what it's worth, I like your rules.

CenterPuke88 said...

As an everyday reader, I wouldn't mind seeing comment moderation back on for a while. The recent influx of trolls that you've had to red card is hopefully a temporary thing if they are denied an open voice.

Comrade Misfit said...

CP88,

I may yet do that. But I don't want to, for moderating everything really screws up with the flow of a discussion. Depending on what I'm doing offline, it may be a half-day or more between my availability to moderate.

So I would prefer that everyone play nice because they're mature adults.

CenterPuke88 said...

Giggle

bmq215 said...

Thanks for the reminder, I could use it. Gotta remember that the trolls just aren't worth feeding...

B said...

Check your email

dinthebeast said...

I will try to be civil, even when I'm angry. Make that especially when I'm angry. I seem to agree with you on all points here, and would like to thank you once again for running this joint.
I really do like the level of intelligent discourse here, a rarity in unmoderated threads.
I comment pretty much daily at the Field Negro's place, and it got bad enough a few months ago that he turned moderation back on for a day or two, but it wasn't the same, and apparently wasn't what he wanted his blog to be, so he turned it back off.
I know you've been there, so I know you know why I say I like this place better. I have stopped engaging with the trolls over there, and I don't use that term lightly, they are trolls. I just say my piece, and if someone sane wants to converse with me about it, fine, if not, fine.
I have read things here that were very useful to me, and dug into them a little before talking about them at several elsewheres, so I also see this place as a resource. And let's face it, there just aren't many places where political discussion 1)is sane, and 2) admits more than one point of view.
Maybe doing that is hard. Maybe it's worth it.
Thanks again.

-Doug in Oakland

CenterPuke88 said...

Doug, just use Field's place to toss out some raw meat now and then. The way that Josh and James with jump on it is rather amusing, as they show their colors more clearly as they strain to frame their arguments in a seemingly rational manner. Like you, I've stopped expecting a coherent response, but unlike you, I still find the venom enlightening (if discouraging).