Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Monday, February 27, 2012

Rmoney: "I Don't Drink Beer, But Some of My Friends Own Breweries!"

Mitt Romney has to be winning the title of "King of Unforced Errors." Between that one and his "my wife has two Cadillacs" comment, ol' Rmoney is demonstrating that the nameless programmers in Mumbai who wrote Cylon Mitt's operating system forgot to include a self-censorship subroutine.

None of his recent gaffes, to my mind, come close to the "I've been unemployed since 2006 (although I'm worth $250 million and I get paid $20 million a year in investment income[and pay less than 15% in taxes])" whopper. But between the gaffes and the outright lies, almost to the point that his epitaph will read "here lies Mitt Romney, as usual", there has to be hundreds of hours of anti-Romney attack video that he himself has provided.

Meanwhile, the GOP party elites are close to shitting their pants at the idea of Santorum winning the nomination. I fear it, as well. Not because I give a shit what happens to the GOP, for on the contrary, the sooner that collection of cranks is consigned to the trash and a genuine center-right party arises cannot happen too soon for my taste.

No, I fear it because there is always a possibility that Frothy might win. And then we'd have a president who will make every effort to drag this country back to the 15th Century. Santorum has made it clear as glass that his presidency would be guided by the tenets of his religion, not by the Constitution or the laws of the land.

And that, I submit, is ultimately very bad for anyone who does not adhere to Ayatollah Rick's exact views. We went down that road in some of the American colonies in the 17th Century; the Founding Fathers were well aware of the dangers inherent in a faith-based government. The "no established religion" clause of the First Amendment wasn't put in there for giggles.

Finally, could someone enlighten me as to why the Southern Evangelicals like Santorum? I didn't grow up in the South, but I have friends who did, and they told me that the Southern Evangelicals regarded Catholics as idolators and not true Christians. Catholics there were regarded by the Evangelicals as almost being as outside of Christianity as Jews and Mormons. Catholic and Jewish kids stuck together for mutual protection (and there was a lot of intermarriage as a result).

So why are they wrapping their arms around Frothy?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the southern righty tighty sorts like Frothy because it is down to 'any port in a storm' time. Oh, and batshit crazy birds flock together?

As for the Mormon owned breweries....that always makes my hypocrisy funny bone go into logical spasms.
But then, most things Mormon do that...

w3ski said...

Having been 'evangelical' once, briefly in my life, I can attest to the 'better than a Morman' attitude.
I mean Gingritch? From an Evangelical point of view Santo at least says some of the right keywords.
w3ski

montag said...

Mitttens remarks are just part of the usual dog butt sniffing of the people he normally associates with. He hasn't figured out this talking to the hoi-polloi stuff yet.

Mule Breath said...

To think that I expended so much wind hawking the evils that Palin and Bachmann represented, and ol' frothy is the one who might actually pull the rabbit out of the hat.

Today in Fort Worth I saw my first "Santorum for President" bumper sticker.

OldRetiredDude said...

My hope is that thinking moderates and independents will step away from the crazy tea-taliban frothy mix that will be the GOP if Rick wins the nomination and therefore I am rooting for him...but the idea that he might actually win wakes me up screaming sometimes.
;-)