Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Bangity, Bangity (Yes, Equipment Matters)

My local club had a Bullseye 1800 match today. In case you're not familiar with it (I sure as hell wasn't), it starts out with shooting 10 rounds, slow fire (10 minutes to shoot that) at a 50 yard target. This is classic pistol-shooting, one-handed style. There are three rounds of slow fire. Then there are three rounds of timed fire- five shots in twenty seconds, which is repeated and scored, and that is done three times. Then the same thing with rapid fire- five shots in ten seconds, reload, five more shots, score, and do all that three times.

So each match is 90 rounds with a possible score of 900.

I took my little Taurus out to shoot.


It isn't a target gun, by any stretch of the imagination. I shot 516-2X. Not the worst of the match scores, but damn close. Everyone else was shooting semi-autos and all but one had some sort of optical sight.

I wasn't going to shoot the second leg of the match, the centerfire portion. But one of the other shooters offered to let me shoot his Browning Buck Mark .22, with a red dot gizmo.

This isn't it, but it kinda sorta looked like this:


The one I shot had a slightly smaller red-dot sight and custom grips. It seemed to feel all right in my hand.

I accepted. It took me a while to get used to it and some times I had a hard time acquiring the dot. The trigger was a dream; my first shot went way wide as I thought it had more takeup than that. But as the match wore on, I got more familiar and ended up shooting the last rapid fire string at 92-4X for a total score of 728-7X. Which doesn't seem to be too shabby a score for the first time out.

I thanked him for the loan of the gun and muttered how that might end up costing me $500 or better. He just laughed. But still, I'd not seriously consider buying a .22 target pistol until after the ammo drought ends. Some of those can be a little fnicky as to what ammo works them the best and, if the stuff isn't available to try out, what's the point?

3 comments:

bearsense said...

You're able to find ammo ???? Reasonably priced ???
Walked into a new gunshop today - - $41 for Federal American Eagle .45ACP - - ridiculous !!!! ..... and can't find .22LR anywhere.
oh well .........

Comrade Misfit said...

I can't, not reliably. But I have over a thousand rounds of .22, so I can shoot some matches for the time being. The guy who loaned me the Buck Mark also gave me the shells for it. I questioned that, he said that he had plenty of them.

The gunshops here aren't gouging. When they have it in, they ration it. They know that rationing may not make people happy, but gouging will make them mad.

LRod said...

I had a Ruger Standard (the beginning of the Mark series) years ago and it was the sweetest shooting pistol I've had. Someday, if I get back to shooting, I may try to find another or a Mark I.

LRod
ZJX, ORD, ZAU retired