Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Sunday, June 6, 2021

On Its Way to the Supremes

A federal judge has overturned California’s three-decade-old ban on assault weapons, calling it a “failed experiment” that violates people’s constitutional right to bear arms.
U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez of San Diego ruled on Friday that the state’s definition of illegal military-style rifles unlawfully deprives law-abiding Californians of weapons commonly allowed in most other states and by the U.S. Supreme Court.


This case will end up at the Supreme Court, unless the 9th Circuit sustains the ruling and California declines to appeal in order to avoid having the Supremes rule on it.

10 comments:

Ten Bears said...

I can see where it would take 30 rounds at .223 to hit a deer at 100 paces.

Eck! said...

Never carried more than tree round of anything going huntin deer.

However that is not the point. Its about those evil black rifles
that are military looking but no military ever used them.

I always joke about it here in Volkspubic of mASSachusetts a
M1 Garand is ok but a AR15 is highly restricted. A 30-30 lever
gun is good but a M1 Carbine is restricted. Go figure.

Is what you get when lies take on a life.

Eck!

Comrade Misfit said...

The AR-15 system handles a lot more than just .223. Some are reasonable for deer.

dinthebeast said...

Well, as ridiculous as it was of him to compare an AR to a Swiss army knife, I have to say that there has never been a time here in California that I couldn't obtain an AR or AK or for that matter an M60 for a given amount of US currency, so the ban has been of limited use in the real world.

-Doug in Sugar Pine

Ten Bears said...

I'll admit I was being a bit of a smart-ass, to get back on track let's look at some spatial realities: when I was taller the rule of thumb was a hundred (100) paces is roughly eighty-five (85) yards, call it seventy-five (75), make the math easier. Seventy-five (75) yards is two hundred twenty-five (225) feet, not the OK Corral, not an indoor gun-range. Three quarters (3/4) of a (Muircan) football field. Home Depot.

While I haven't found the need to hunt in a while, my huntin' rifle for the past forty years has been a 300 Savage 99G lever-revolver. My first ~ not the single-shot .22 my g'da gave me ~ rifle was a .223 Savage 99G lever-revolver. Where I learned how to shoot we went out into the desert and shot at coffee cans. I've taken longer shots both against coffee cans and prey, but I'm not out there to wound them so's they'll crawl off somewhere to die in pain or maybe get eaten alive by some other predator.

I was being a smart-ass ... on-the-other-hand, if you're not shooting at deer, elk or bear ...

Dark Avenger said...

If you need a weapon that can splinter Bambi, or take down a herd of wild swine, you might reconsider your self-defense strategy,

w3ski said...

I am a recreational shooter. I quit hunting years ago now. In the interest of recreational shooting, my Evil Black Plastic Rifle is one of the most fun weapons I own. With the object being of punching small holes, close together, at 400 plus yards, my evil rifle is supreme.
I have hunting guns too, but I no longer hunt, and being an Old, recoil is not my friend.
Being basically legal at my age, I find it a pleasure to own and shoot my military-style rifle.
If one guy can dote on 600 horsepower cars, and another can ride a crotch rocket thru traffic at 5 pm, I really don't see what is wrong with me having my military-style rifle.
I am sorry that it gives some people the creeps, but we should be adults about that by now.
w3ski

0_0 said...

Military style rifles (whatever that is) sounds great for a militia.

Benitez writes some really good stuff- some of you should read the whole thing, not just the Swiss Army Knife reference- but the en banc 9th Circuit recently did their usual 'don't try to confuse us; this latest firearm regulation is also constitutional' regarding Hawaii's de facto ban on open and concealed carry. Paraphrased, it said 'English common law said governments could regulate firearms in the public square so the plain text of the 2A does not apply'.

Dark Avenger said...

0_0, you mean the plain text that mentions the importance of militias?

Ten Bears said...

The importance of a well-regulated militia ...