Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Monday, March 15, 2010

Hiding in Plain Sight

The March issue of Scientific American had an interesting bit of information (which I hope I am relaying correctly as I don't have the issue with me):
  • The equivalent of 10 billion bits of information per second hit the retina.
  • Six billion bits per second leave the retina
  • Six million bits per second go up the optic nerve
  • 100,000 bits per second arrive at the visual cortex
  • The brain interprets 110 bits of visual information per second
So what is going on is, in order to save processing time, the brain is pretty much filling out the rest of the picture based on what it predicts should be there.

Now say that early each morning, as you drive to work, you pull up to an intersection, look both ways, no cars are coming, and you proceed. You do that for years and it has become an automatic routine. On the day that a car is coming, you could glace that way and your brain would not "see" the presence of a car, because your brain does not expect a car to be there.

Test this out sometime: As you go down a road, look off to the side and consciously look to see what is there. You will likely see some detail that has been there, has always been there, but which you never noticed. It was literally hiding in plain sight.

When you are doing a safety check, you have to take your mind out of auto-process mode. For if you don't, that way lies disaster. Our brains are not set up to handle the rapid change of information in a modern world, but the slow pace of information of a hunter-gatherer on an African savanna.

You have to make the effort to consciously look at what is there, not just do it on autopilot. For on autopilot, the brain will probably see what it expects to see, not what is really there, and our machines will then kill you.

4 comments:

Nangleator said...

I double and triple-check before pulling out. I trust my brain not much, and my eyes less.

I love doing the blind spot trick. It's a mind-bending revelation for almost anyone I show it to. It's proof that your mind has a 'clone tool' like Photoshop, to fill in the blank part of your visual field.

Anonymous said...

Excellent reminder. I credit my years of motorcycle riding and survival for keeping me aware of potential brain fade in really seeing what I look at.

XR650L_Dave said...

See?
I'm not paranoid when I drive different routes to work and home, I'm avoiding 'routine blindness'...


Dave

Comrade Misfit said...

Dave,

That's a very good idea.