Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Sunday, October 4, 2020

Your Sunday Morning Rotor Noise

Sikorsky S-58:


Helicopters were always way outside of my price range, but if I could have affforded one of these, I'd have tricked it out as a camper.

7 comments:

Stewart Dean said...

The Winnebago Heli-Home
https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/the-flying-winnebago-3672/

Deadstick said...

R-1820, same engine as the B-17 and early Gooney Bird. The Brits made a turbine version with a goofy-looking nose.

Ten Bears said...

I hooked logs to one, a screaming me-me, right at forty years ago. Scary aircraft, with a driveline running up between the pilots to a transmission and rotor mast right behind the pilots. It was not my favorite ride.

CenterPuke88 said...

Deadstick, Westland Wessex, in service through 2003. Always think of the Wessex when I see a S-58, but that piston engine sounds is glorious.

w3ski said...

Not sure it was the same model, but early 60 something my Dad took us 4 to Disney Land in LA. We flew in a Turboprop from Oakland to LA, and then caught a shuttle Helicopter, some kind of Sikorski product to a closer airport. Ride of my life.
It vibrated wildly the whole flight. Dad even talked the crew into letting me see upfront. It was behind all of a leather curtain as I remember, but it was exciting seeing the pilot and copilot and a veritable wall of dial indicators.
Later I worked under one hauling out wood products from a job site. That was just a glass bubble with a rotor a tail and a VW engine. In fact, this one blew a pushrod at the job site. It wasn't so impressive but then I was a bit older.
w3ski

J4rh34d said...

Back when I was an active bullet sponge, the UH-34 (Navy/USMC version) was my battle-taxi.

Same model that recovered the Mercury 7 capsules.

Old NFO said...

I started out as a crewman on HH-34 at GLYNCO. VERY familiar with that sound. And that sucker had been started not long before that. Either that, or it was out of oil!