Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Because Fuck You, NSA

I was going through the public domain ebooks (free) on Amazon. I downloaded a copy of "Two Years Before the Mast", which I've had on my "read someday" list for a long time. It's one of those books that you don't often see in libraries and I've never gotten around to inter-library loan for one.

Well, one of the books that they have for free is The Communist Manifesto.

So I downloaded a copy. Because fuck you, NSA. Fuck you if you want to draw any conclusions about me based on what I read.

We ought to get everyone downloading their own copies. For the same reason.

9 comments:

Phil said...

LMAO!

That's what I like about you my dear, you have an ornery streak.

D. said...

Drat. I bought a copy for a college course 40+ years ago, and it's still on the premises somewhere, although the last time I needed to refer to it, I had to use Project Gutenberg.

Anyway, as a Marxist (Groucho), I'd recommend reading it if only to decrease the phobia around the subject.

LRod said...

I loved TYBtM. I've read it twice—once in high school or a little before, and once about twenty years ago.

The first read was mainly a sailing adventure, out and back was what I took from it mostly.

The second read really spoke to me in the last chapter or so. All of his main adventure had been in Old California (well, aside from the boat stuff) in around 1821, if I recall. At the end, he had visited back out there shortly after the Gold Rush, some thirty years later (please don't fact check me on the exact dates—it's the time passed that's important). He caused quite a stir amongst new arrivals to the Bay area who were all excited about the booming new city.

He had been there when it was Yerba Buena, and people simply couldn't imagine what he'd experienced. I can't explain why that got me and why it took to tries to.

So if you haven't read it, please don't delay. As a blue water sea dog (even if not a blue jacket) you'll have extra appreciation for the ship bits.

LRod
ZJX, ORD, ZAU retired

FrankC said...

Thanks for the free book. I likes free. But stuff the Communist Agenda, that's too close to home.

Sikhandtake Rakhuvar said...

m-x spook

emacsen have been prepared for *this* one for *decades* :^/

Murphy's Law said...

Great idea. Ima download me a few anarchist cookbooks just to make them wonder what I'm up to.

empireofdirt77@gmail.com said...

Where do I find the book that dares not speak its name: The Anarchists Cookbook?

Comrade Misfit said...

EmpireofDirt77, I think TAC is out of print.

empireofdirt77@gmail.com said...

I figgered such but just trying to get on NSA watchlist.