Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset,
A/K/A P01135809, A/K/A Dementia Donnie

Saturday, November 11, 2023

Veterans Day

I've timed this to be at 11AM in France, as the day was originally called Armistice Day, to mark the day that the guns fell silent on the Western Front, 105 years ago. In a number of British Commonwealth countries, the day is Rememberance Day.

"Veterans Day sales" are evil.

When someone says "thank you for your service", I thank them, but I wonder if they also served and if not why not. I'm not generally in favor of mandatory service (or mandatory voting), but those who don't do something for the country, be it military service or public service or volunteering for something are, in my opinion, free riders. Spouses of those on active duty get a pass, for reasons that should not require explanation.

4 comments:

bearsense said...

My response to the Thank you for your service is: It was my privilege to serve.”

seafury said...

Some sort of national service is a good idea. As long as there are exemptions for those who really want to get those degrees in art history or play college sports. For example, If Connor or Maddie get a scholarship to play volleyball or lacrosse, why should they have to give up on their dreams
Certainly we should do something to help those that defend us, like, a discount at the community college, or something like that.

JustMusing said...

The Air Force provided me nearly 4 years of electronics training that was better than college courses (although I did selectively attend a fair number later as my 50 year career advanced).

I think the best part of that was being able to mentor and share that training with others to pay it forward. Many of those young pups are now the department or company leaders and moving technology forward that helps folks live better lives.

I believe attending a one year national service program between high school and college would be very good for most folks. It would broaden their world view and experiencing diversity to become a better and more caring person.

My service did that for me and I'm forever grateful. I don't need to be thanked as It was a privilege to serve.


dinthebeast said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlKazFeT8hI

-Doug in Sugar Pine