Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset,
A/K/A P01135809, A/K/A Dementia Donnie

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Colt Bangity

A handful of years ago, somone was offering hammer shrouds for Colt Detective Specials. I bought one. But then came the problem of having it installed. Maybe it's overly cautious on my part, but the guys calling themselves "gunsmiths" in this area are probably good at assembling AR-15s (or were before they were banned) or working on Glocks or M&Ps. Maybe even 1911s.[1] But there was no way on this Earth that I was going to let them work on a good revolver.

If I sent it out to a revolver gunsmith, it would probably cost close to a C-note in shipping costs each way. So that wasn't attractive.

The nearest good gunsmith is about a four-hour roundtrip. So what I did was just accumulate some other guns that needed work. Both of the Model 28s I bought last winter were either close to out of time or out of time. One had endshake issues. I had a 686 that began malfing and needed a tuneup. And I had a Model 60 that was cheap because it needed some serious unfucking. That was enough, so a couple of months ago, I packed them up and made the drive.

I got them back today. This is the DS with the hammer shroud:


A steel-frame DS is kind of heavy for pocket carry, but in a winter coat it might be OK. And from an inside-the-waistband holster, all issues of the hammer snagging clothing are now gone.

Frankly, I don't know why Colt doesn't offer them for their current-production Cobras, instead of the bobbed-hammer model.
__________
[1] I did have one of them install a set of tritium sights on a 1911. I've neever seen a rear sight held on with purple locktite before.

3 comments:

B said...

Nice.

pigpen51 said...

Comrade Misfit,
I understand your hesitation in having your guns worked on by someone that you would not let work on a toaster, in a manner of speaking. I have an old 1916 Spanish Mauser that was converted to 308 Winchester at some point in the past. I bought it for $150 a number of years ago, from Classic Firearms, just to have one. Never shot it, just put it aside, then when I tried to fire it, it would not fire. The firing pin was not right.
I don't really need the gun, it was just sort of a lark, but eventually I want to get it running. I actually bought a replacement firing pin, but it needs to be shortened to length. And since I am acting from a place of caution, I also want to get the headspace checked, to make sure it is safe.
I might try one of the gunsmiths in the area in the spring, the one I know of is around 1.5 hours away, but deer season started on November 15th, and so this is probably a busy time for them. Like I said I am not pushed for time to get this rifle up and running, but it would be nice to have it in proper order.
Also, a quick note to thank you for letting me post on your blog. I know that my opinions are usually not in line with most of the people here, as well as your own. You have allowed me to opine here freely, and I don't take that lightly. Best of luck with your repaired guns, and have a safe and happy upcoming holiday season.

Comrade Misfit said...

PP51, I had one of those converted Mausers. Sold it years ago, I had maybe shot it thirty times.