Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Saturday, May 12, 2012

All Abooooaaaaard!

Today is National Train Day.


For the first time in over twenty years, I find myself living in a town where I don't hear the sounds of trains passing through. It's a little bit strange.

On the other hand, I saw a Stearman pass by late yesterday afternoon at about 1,500' AGL, so it's not all bad.

10 comments:

LRod said...

Looks like a Mikado. Actually, one can't see enough of the wheel arrangement to definitively tell, but I've seen a few RR videos of that line and that's mostly what they run.

They actually had to replace one of their locos and bought a new Mike made in China, of all things. I'm not sure how long they ran it (the RR videos I see are often twenty years or more old), but I've been led to believe they traded it (the Chinese Mike—not Ol' #97) to Steamtown, but I can't remember for what.

LRod
ZJX, ORD, ZAU retired

Comrade Misfit said...

#97 is a Consolidated (2-8-0). #40 is a Mikado. a few years ago, the Valley RR bought a Chinese Mikado from a failed tourist road in PA, it had been in a fire. They rebuilt it and they ar now running it in NHRR markings.

Eck! said...

#97, a 2-8-0 Consolidation Steam Locomotive

Something to see in person too. It's the Valley Railroad CT.



Eck!

D. said...

Time I took a train. Probably next month.

LRod said...

Well, this is interesting. I stand corrected on #97 (was working from the memory of old RR videos), but your story concerning their Chinese Mike(s) is incomplete, and oddly, not part of the CVRR's history page, either. Their current Chinese Mike, as you said, came from Knox & Kane RR. But, as can be discerned in this photo essay it turned out to be CVRR's second Chinese Mike.

The video I referred to covered the sale, construction, delivery, et al, of the Chinese Mikes (there were two built and delivered at the same time—I don't remember who got the second one, but I don't think it was K&K). I was shocked to later learn that, after all the effort to secure the first one, they'd disposed of it (I still think it wound up at Steamtown). They bought it, after all, because their principal steamers at the time were both facing overhaul/repairs, and wouldn't be available for the excursion season. This would have been some fifteen or twenty years ago, mind.

Oddly, I couldn't find any reference (other than the rebuild link above) to it in a cursory search.

LRod
ZJX, ORD, ZAU retired

Comrade Misfit said...

LRod, the CVRR did buy a Chinese Mikado early on, but if I remember correctly, they sold it to another road whose own Chinese Mikado was washed overboard when the ship that was carrying it was in heavy seas.

Nangleator said...

There was a Stearman at Tew-Mac when I was flying in the 90s. He gave rides, and I was always tempted, although I never went with him. I felt that, since I was already paying to fly other planes, I didn't need to get a ride just like a tourist.

I'm still kicking myself over that silly mistake.

Comrade Misfit said...

Yeah, flying a Stearman is about the most fun that one can have with their clothes on.

So is driving a steam locomotive. You can do that at the Valley RR.

LRod said...

As I recall (we must be watching the same videos) the whole ship was lost, not just the Mike.

RFD-TV, 231 on the Dish, is where I get my RR video fix on.

LRod
ZJX, ORD, ZAU retired

Comrade Misfit said...

I have never heard of RFD-TV. It's not on my cable service (or the last one.)