Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Friday, January 4, 2008

Dog and Gun Story, or "Why the Jehovah's Witnesses Haven't Been By Recently"

(This story is almost 40 years old, so I think any applicable statutes of limitations have long since passed.)

This is no shit:

My family had a German Shepard. He never bit anyone, but he seemed to be well aware that he had a fearsome image and he made the most of it. He'd lunge at the screen doors and after breaking through the screens of the lower half of the doors in the summer and breaking the glass of two doors in the fall, my dad had the lower parts done in plexiglas and left them in all the time.

I had begged and pleaded and finally, for a birthday, I got a CO2 pistol that looked like a revolver. It looked something like this, but not quite:


It held six .177 pellets. I also got a pellet trap. I bought a holster for it (cheap-ass black leather) and I set the trap up in the basement. I would practice drawing and shooting, which I had to do very carefully, as it was explained to me that firing pellets randomly around the basement would be Really Bad Form.

At the time, we had three dogs besides the German Shepard. The dogs were supposed to stay in the kitchen/family room area, there were swinging doors that generally kept them in. (We later had one 30lb mutt who figured out that if instead of jumping on the door, she leaned against it, she could get out, but that's another story.) Because of the expense of kenneling four dogs, one of us usually stayed home if the family was going somewhere that we couldn't take the dogs.

So there it was, late morning on Saturday. I was home alone and in the basement, shooting my revolver, when the doorbell rang repeatedly. That caused a cacophony of barking and I could hear the noises as the dogs tried to get through the kitchen door. Then I heard that one of them had made it and that it was the German Shepard. The doorbell rang again, so I dropped the revolver into its holster and went upstairs to see who the hell it was.

(At the time, that area was what now would be an "exurb". We lived at the end of a longish driveway and because of trees and hedges, the house wasn't visible from the road. So whoever came down the driveway intended to and we didn't get many random visitors.)

The German Shepard was at the front door and he wanted to get through the door. I opened the inner door to see four Jehovah's Witnesses (two couples) standing there. As the screen was in the top half of the storm door, I didn't have to open it to ask what they wanted.

One guy started into his spiel as the other three folks smiled gamely. As the sales pitch got underway, the German Shepard lunged at the bottom half of the storm door, bounced off the plexiglas, and then scrabbled at the plexiglas with his front claws, all the while barking and snarling and carrying on as though he hadn't been fed in a week and the top choice on his menu was prime Liver of JWs'. I nodded politely as the pitchman talked and I watched their eyes; they kept glancing at the dog and seemed to be trying to reassure themselves that the door would hold him, for I wasn't making any attempt to restrain the dog. The dog was having the time of his life, putting on a show. He was barking and snarling and the more he saw them reacting to his lunging and carrying on, the more effort he put into it.

Then one of them noticed the holstered revolver at my waist. Soon more had, and their eyes were going from the dog to the gun and back again. It wasn't long after that when one of the others interrupted the pitchman and said "thanks for your time we can see you're really busy buh-bye" and they left in a hurry.

When I shut the front door and took the dog back to the kitchen, I could tell that he was very pleased with himself. I told him he was a good boy and gave him a milk-bone.

And that's why the Jehovah's Witnesses didn't come around again for a very long time.

UPDATE: 2/22/08- I am shutting off comments to this blog entry. I was trying to write a humorous piece; what I have been attracting are people who have an axe to grind with regard to the Jehovah's Witnesses. If you feel the need to do that, click on "create blog" in the upper right corner and start your own blog.

8 comments:

Danny Haszard said...

Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult because they try to cut you off from others who do not have the same beliefs, including family.
The Watchtower is a truly Orwellian world.
--
Danny Haszard born 1957 as a 3rd generation Jehovah's Witness
http://jehovahwitness.vox.com/
I was in the cult and now I'm out

Comrade Misfit said...

I don't know about that, but I have flown over the complex they have just northwest of Danbury, CT. It's a pretty large place.

BadTux said...

It's also interesting to answer the door to Jehovah's witnesses while stroking a black cat draped across your shoulders. Occasionally turning your head to look at the cat's head and saying "Yes, my pretty?" really freaks them out :-).

- Badtux the Black-cat-owned Penguin

Comrade Misfit said...

Unfortunately, my black cat runs and hides at a knock on the door. It's not a problem, my neighbor is a JW and I think she put the word out that I am not receptive.

If I remember right, there was a case awhile back when two young Mormon missionaries knocked on the door of a trailer home in the Carolinas. The guy inside thought they were cops and he capped both of them.

Unknown said...

So many ppl think their clever because they're rude (or just stupid)to others. Why do you never read nasty comments from the JWs?
Guess it's what you're about that guides your purpose in life. Go figure.

Danny Haszard said...

{{ Lagtime said...
So many ppl think their clever because they're rude (or just stupid)to others. Why do you never read nasty comments from the JWs?))

WHOA JW's are the worst Trolls of all
You are the spammers of the world

Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs:
A) They are at your door to recruit you for enslavement to their watchtower corporation,they will say that "we are just here to share a message from the Bible" this is deception right off.

B) The 'message' is their false Gospel that Jesus is ruling in heaven already since 1914.The problem with this is it's not just a cute fairy tale,Jesus warned of the false prophets who would claim "..look he is here in the wilderness,or see here he is at the temple"

C) Their anti-blood transfusion ban has killed hundreds if not thousands

D) once they recruit you they will "love bomb" you in cult fashion to also recruit your family & friends or cut them off. There are many more dangers,Jehovah's Witnesses got a bad rap for good and valid reasons.

99% of the world has rejected the teachings of the Watchtower Jehovah’s Witnesses, the darker truth is they are a destructive and oppressive organization.
--
Danny Haszard WAS Jehovah's Witness X 33 years http://www.freeminds.org

Comrade Misfit said...

As far as I know, "religious tolerance" does not mean that I have to listen to anyone as they try to spout off to me about their faith. You can believe whatever form of Invisible Friend you like and whether it involves sacred skivvies or a sacred diet is your affair.

But you do not get to knock on my door and force me to listen to you sell your religious viewpoint. And, for the record, I was not rude to the JWs that visited; I did not point a weapon at them, I did not rest my hand on the butt of the revolver and I did not sic the dogs on them. I didn't even tell them to "fuck off", nor did I point a weapon at them.

You have the right to believe whatever you want. You do not have the right to talk to me about it.

JJones said...

SUMMARIES OF NEARLY 1000 JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES LAWSUITS & COURT CASES

The following website summarizes 500 U.S. court cases and lawsuits affecting children of Jehovah's Witness Parents, including 300+ cases where the JW Parents refused to consent to life-saving blood transfusions for their dying children:

DIVORCE, BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS, AND OTHER LEGAL ISSUES AFFECTING CHILDREN OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

http://jwdivorces.bravehost.com


The following website summarizes over 400 lawsuits filed by Jehovah's Witnesses against their Employers, incidents involving problem JW Employees, and other secret JW "history" court cases:

EMPLOYMENT ISSUES UNIQUE TO JEHOVAH'S WITNESS EMPLOYEES

http://jwemployees.bravehost.com