Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

True Grit

I saw True Grit this afternoon. All the buzz about the job done by Hailee Steinfeld as Mattie Ross is the truth.

I think it is better than the first go-around with John Wayne. Those who have read the book say that the Coen brothers' movie is a lot closer to the book's story.

I think it is well worth seeing. Having said that, I don't think you'll lose much by waiting for it to make the jump to the premium cable movie services in a few months (or Netflix).

6 comments:

merlallen said...

It can't be as good as the original

Comrade Misfit said...

Better, I think.

Don Brown said...

Better than John Wayne? I don't think so, Scooter. I'm going to go see it but you can't get better than John Wayne. That's just a downright un-American thing to think.

Don

squatlo said...

I've seen 'em both and the new one is MUCH better than the original, if for no other reason than it doesn't have Glen Campbell messing up scene after scene.
The Coens have done a remarkable job, from the cinematography to the music, and the casting is perfect!
Jeff Bridges doesn't go out and do a John Wayne impression, he creates a brand new image of Rooster Cogburn, and he's brilliant at it.
Best film I've seen in years.

Allan S said...

Oh E.B., Oh squatlo, I beg to differ. I regretted spend money on this film. Granted the actress plying Matti Ross was superb, better than Kim Darby in the original. Bridges sucked. The Cohen brothers dropped the ball with the "new" script. They left out Roosters best lines and butchered the scene between Matti and the horse trader. And as for Glen Campbell, a tree stump could have out acted him, Matt Damon was overkill. Lucky Ned Pepper was one of my favorite characters in the original, in this one I can't even remember the guy, his role or his lines. What's next? A new Casablanca?....Allan

Sarah said...

It is on my short (very) list of movies I'd like to go see... I'm not usually a western fan, thinking as I do that there will never be another western as good as "Unforgiven".

I saw Matt Damon on Letterman last night - he said the Coens presented it to him as a new movie from the novel, not as a remake of a movie. Nothing against The Duke, but there's no good reason to leave a compelling story alone. This is not the same as "The Love Bug 7" or other evidence of Hollywood's lack of imagination.