Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Friday, January 20, 2023

Gun Stuff

Henry, which is best known for making lever-action rifles, is offering a 9mm semiautomatic carbine.

This is interesting. It pretty much allows for a pistol-caliber carbine in states that ban guns because they look evil. It's not showing up in their catalog, yet.

In other news, I shot a USPSA match with a compact S&W 9mm:

Most of the other guns used in the match were full-sized 9mms, more than half with "carry optics", so I was definately an oddball. Which meant that I wasn't competitive, but I wasn't trying to be. I shoot those matches to work on my own abilities.

Here's a for-instance: One stage opened with two targets visible. There was a bar across the bay which marked the closest one could go. The start position was a good 25' back from that. Everyone else ran up to the bar before shooting those targets. Me, I shot those targets *immediately*. Then, when I had to reload, I ducked back behind cover to do that, while everyone else just stood there and reloaded. I'm not saying that I'm any great shakes at this shit, but I am trying to keep a distinction between what I might have to do for real and what it takes to place high in a match.

One of these days, I might shoot a subcompact 9mm, just for fun. And because nobody is bringing an optically-sighted racegun to any sort of defensive fight. Because, FFS, if there's advance notice of a fight, you're going to bring a rifle or a shotgun and a friend with the same.

On the other hand, optics are starting to appear more and more on carry guns, so maybe I need to learn them.

7 comments:

Glypto Dropem said...

I lost a bullseye match last October shooting my super accurate 1935 vintage S & W K-22 Outdoorsman revolver against several competitors. Our range chairman was using a borrowed .22 sub-compact semiauto. My shots were all close, with my best shot was barely off center of the X. His shots were all over the place until his lucky one that counted... absolutely dead center. He got the prize money. There was no second place. It was OK though, I won the first two rounds.

Comrade Misfit said...

Back when I shot Bullseye, I could beat about half of the guys with optics with my Model 17. I had to use a red-dot Ruger to break 800, though.

CenterPuke88 said...

I’m considering a Sig P365, but I’m torn on two fronts. The 9mm vs .380 is the minor one, I’ll go to a range with rentals and compare them. But then there’s the red dot or not question. I probably wouldn’t shoot the red dot enough to be properly proficient with it, but I just don’t know. It’s a very small unit, but it’s making a tiny gun quite bigger.

Comrade Misfit said...

Up to you, but I’d go for the 9mm. The cartridge is more efficient ant the ammo’s cheaper.

Also, shoot a M&P Shield if you can rent one. I like that they can be had with safeties.

CenterPuke88 said...

Thanks Comrade. The .380 is mildly appealing for the ability to more accurately on target quicker, and the newer .380 rounds are plenty powerful enough. The price delta is a concern though. I would be buying the Manual Safety version of the P365, my XD-45 is the slide lock version.

Stewart Dean said...

Questions all: that Henry 9mm carbine. 1) is that a silencer on the end? 2) isn't the velocity of the bullet going to be way down after the pistol round gunpowder quantity get done pushing the bullet down the long barrel and through the silencer? Subsonic for sure....

Comrade Misfit said...

Not really. A 16" is pretty efficient for 9mm. Suppressors are where gas expands greatly and slows down, so the bullet's not being pushed very much at that point. But it's not going to be silent; the gases will make some noise and the bullets will be supersonic.

With the right load, a suppressed .45 rifle would be very quiet. Especially if it was a lever or bolt-action gun.