Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Monday, October 17, 2022

Match Bangity

I shot a full USPSA match last weekend. I broke my usual habit and shot a 1911A1 clone.

And using Wilson Elite magazines (which I bought on sale).

This is kinda sorta of how the matches are scored: You shoot a stage and get a raw time. If you hit the A-zone, every time, that's the time for your stage. If you hit the C-zone, a second is added for that. If you hit the D-zone, two seconds are added. A miss is five seconds. If you hit a no-shoot target, that's a five second penalty (plus the five-second penalty for missing, unless you made that up with an additional round). If you don't shoot at a target at all, you get hit with a penalty for that, plus two misses. (It's actually much more complicated with that.)

Which means that there is a point where, if you're halfway accurate, speed trumps accuracy.

Speed is where I did shitty. When it came to using iron-sights, I was maybe #2. But I was slow, especially compared to the shooters with competition 9mms with optics, which aren't exactly cheap. Some of those guys sound as though they are going full-auto. I'm not doing that with an essentially GI-grade 1911 (albeit with a SFS kit installed) firing milspec ball ammo.

But overall, I was pleased. My 1911 is a carry gun; nobody I know of carries a racegun. And, as this match proved to me, I can shoot it.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Congrats, sounds like a good time and good shooting.

Comrade Misfit said...

Thanks, and I had a good time. I shoot matches to see what I can do better. I intend to try it in an AIWB holster, but I want to get better with it before I make that step.

B said...

Yeah, shooting a race gun doesn't prove that much. You ahve the skills, but not necessarily with your carry gun. Doing it with your carry gun shows what you can bring if you need to.