Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Brave One

I saw Jodie Foster's new movie "the Brave One" this weekend.


If I wanted to be snarky, I'd call it "Jodie Does Death Wish," but I think the movie aspires to be more than that. I think it tries to be two movies in one; one of them being a blood-soaked vigilante flick and the other being a discourse on revenge and how violence changes the victims. The performances by Foster and Terence Howard were very good. Nicky Katt is almost funny as a detective who indulges in dark humor. One line (from memory): "It's a toss-up which killed him; the seven-story fall or the crowbar in his skull. No, make that 70-30 on the crowbar."

I thought the audience was interesting. Besides the usual collection of guys that one would expect to see for a blood-soaked thriller, there were almost as many women, including women who had either come alone or with other women. From the comments I overheard in the ladies' room following the mandatory post-flick pit stop, the reaction towards the movie was positive.

2 comments:

BadTux said...

You wouldn't be the only one to call it "Jodie does Death Wish". If you go to Teh Google and type in "jodie foster death wish", out pops hundreds of reviews of the movie that make exactly the same comparison.

Comrade Misfit said...

Yeah, I know, I Googled the phrase and saw that. I should have known that I'd not be the only one to come up with that phrase.