Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Monday, September 17, 2018

iOS 12

iOS 12 was released today.

I’ll wait until 12.1 (or 12.0.5) is released, thanks. More and more, companies are using the consumers as the last line of QA/QC. A lot of the early release Ruger GP-100 .44s went back to the factory for rework, a problem that is, by no means, confined to Ruger alone. I'm starting to note tremors in the Force when it comes to Kimber's revolvers.

Being on the cutting edge isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

9 comments:

CenterPuke88 said...

Normally a good practice that I follow too...however, 12 had quite extensive Beta testing and shows up to a 70% improvement in performance for the iPhone 5s, 6 and 6s. Being a cheapskate, that’s me, so I trying it out and it looks really good right now. It also promises better battery life, and that’s looking possible too.

Stewart Dean said...

At IBM, this was about making your date (deadline). Which meant tossing untested shit over the wall to system test where they were supposed to turn shit into gold. And they got blamed for not making their date.

Marc said...

I ran the beta on my iPad Mini2 - worked great. Updated my iPhone SE today, and it certainly seems faster. No problem getting the update, or installing it, but I had a full battery - the update requires you to have 60% charge before it will install.

3383 said...

Cutting edge is cool.
Bleeding edge is not.

Borepatch said...

But ... but .... racegun!

;-)

One thing I really don't like on my iPhone is how often it pesters me to upgrade. If there isn't a patch for a bad security hole I don't EVER want to be the first kid on the block to do that. That said, IIRC iOS 12 is resistant to the police snooping software that hacks in via the computer-phone interface. That's a reason to maybe upgrade sooner rather than later. But you know how paranoid I am.

CenterPuke88 said...

16 new Security Patches in iOS12...plus moving the numbers key and putting the emoji key there...that’s what’s pissing me off the most. So far, so good on the iPhone6, but the iPad Air2 (with a very weak battery) is running faster but showing an even weaker battery...win some, lose some. But as Borepatch said, if there is anything important on your iDevice, iOS12 is a good upgrade for security.

Comrade Misfit said...

OK, OK, sold! I'll install it.

Marc said...

Ok, I'm a little afraid of "screen time". In my head I only spend an hour or so, but I think the first weekly report is going to give me cold, hard numbers to refute that - detailing what apps and how much time with each. Ok, very afraid.

CenterPuke88 said...

Be aware that to stop the 2FA nag, you must turn it on and then use the email to return to previous setting...which includes a required password change. The bastards didn’t offer an off switch! Downgrade path to 11.4.1 is still open, but very sluggish performance returns.