Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Laser Sights

I have Crimson-Trace laser grips on the two revolvers that I tend to carry most often (or have reachable at night). I sighted them in by making sure that the laser and the open sights were aligned to the same spot. But I hadn't really used them. The range I use most of the time is open-air and red-dot lasers don't show up very well during bright daylight.

A few days ago, I had an occasion to shoot at an indoor range. I tried out a Model 10 with the laser grips. At 25 feet, well, damn, that thing is accurate! One flyer, but five shots were into the area of an old silver dollar. I was shooting with my elbows locked against my side, holding the gun down at waist level and only using the laser to sight it. Or "direct fire", whichever is more accurate.

The neat effect was that the laser would partially reflect from the smoke downrange, so it looked a bit like the lasers you always see in SF movies. Because in the real world, you don't normally see the beam of a laser.

Anyway, as long as one could hold it steady, hits with a laser-directed snubbie could be done far outside of normal belly-gun ranges.

2 comments:

Ole Phat Stu said...

OT : Someone who has an ancient flintlock in his collection has just shown me where the idioms "Going off half-cock" and "Flash in the pan" came from :-) I learnt something new :-)

Anonymous said...

My 2" model 60 with Crimson Trace grips has accounted for several coyotes now. Makes snubbies into a whole new gun.

FormerFlyer