Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Friday, June 22, 2012

K-22 Masterpiece

Otherwise known as the Smith & Wesson Model 17.


I was in a local gun shop awhile back. They had a K-22 in their used gun case for $600. I swallowed hard and walked away.

See, I bought a K-22 over thirty years ago, new, for about $200. I shot that gun a lot. For I was a member of a local indoor range, which meant that all it cost me to shoot at any given time was cartridges and targets. I'd stop at the range on the way home from work, maybe three times a week, and shoot for a half-hour or so.[1]

Later, when I was back home on my folk's farm,[2] I kept that K-22 handy. Between plinking and pest-control shooting, that revolver worked well. Then I moved to the PRMA[3] for a few years, where they also frowned on handgun ownership. I loaned the K-22 to a college kid who was serious about becoming a better shooter, but he didn't have a decent gun to work with.

A few years after that, someone broke into his place and swiped the K-22, among other stuff. I've thought about replacing it, but then I recently looked at the MSRP for a new one and gasped. The online gun auctions aren't significantly cheaper for used ones.

Replacing that K-22 is an itch that I'm not going to scratch.

UPDATED: Three years later, I scratched the itch.
_____________________
[1] Of course, if the base cops had ever searched my car, I'd have been screwed. The Navy positively frowned on having weapons on the base.
[2] The farm was Dad's retirement project. The difference between my father and a real farmer, like Frank James, was like the difference between me and a 25,000 hr airline pilot.
[3] Aka the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

1 comment:

w3ski said...

Oh gawd, the finest weapon Smith ever made. My buddy had one, his widow still does. Finest revolver I have ever shot. I would give my left nut for a K22. The only finer weapon I have ever handled was a Colt Python. I love the K22, from but to barrel.
A fine design and a revolver for all time.
If you own one yourself I am in awe.
Seriously
w3ski