Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Don the Cloak of Invisibility

It's easy for women to do. All we have to do is set foot in an electronics store and it's as though we have gone out of phase with this dimension.

I was given a bit of electronics stuff as a present. It did not have the features I wanted, so I took it back to the store, and to not overly pick on them, let's call them Great Purchase. I exchanged the gizmo for a gift card and then I looked around. The thing I wanted was not in stock (cable ready DVD/VCR).

So I poked around. Don't need another computer. Don't need a CD player (I haven't bought a CD since the RIAA shifted into "maximum greed" mode). I very rarely go places that I don't know how to get to, so I don't need a GPS for driving. Already have a digital camera. Got a cell phone already.

I strolled around most of the store and sure enough, not a single sales clerk asked if I needed assistance. That's not unusual, I've had it happen in Television Shanty and other places.

Circuit City (yes, I am naming them here), is about the worst. I've been in a few and, while there may be three ways to get the salesgeeks' attention (#1, go topless; #2, wave wads of Benjamins around, and #3, stick a shotgun in their face), I'm not about to try any of them. I think a guy in a crafts shop is going to get more attention than a woman in Circuit City.

4 comments:

Phil said...

Can't argue with your observations, I've seen this phenomenon personally.
As for guy's going into craft stores?
Guaranteed to have someone come to help, most clerks at craft stores seem to intuitively know that if a guy is in there,
a, He can't find what he is looking for anywhere else,
b. He is looking for something for his S.O.,
c, He doesn't have the first clue where anything is.

I have experienced all three personally.

Some very nice ladies inhabit these strange places.

BadTux said...

The thing you have to understand about the staff at Circuit City is that they're all pimply geeks who are deathly scared of that strange exotic species called "woman". They're afraid they won't know what to say, they're afraid they'll look and/or sound stupid, they're afraid they'll be looked down on as, well, pimply barely-adolescent geeks.

Needless to say, this will interfere greatly with their future reproduction, but luckily there is no shortage of two-legged hairless monkeys on this planet so that doesn't matter too much in the big picture. In the small picture, if you're female, it's a decided annoyance.

- Badtux the Geeky Penguin

Unknown said...

Another thing to remember about Circuit City is that they recently fired anyone that was even half-way competent, as a cost-cutting measure. So, those that remain probably do not want to be put in the spot of having to answer a question.

Comrade Misfit said...

You guys are probably right as to the reasons why women are ignored at Circuit City.

Too bad that they'd notice if I reached into the cash register... :)