Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Friday, October 16, 2015

The Evil Fuckery of Microsoft

If you have Win 7 or 8, Microsoft has been cramming your computer with gigs of Win 10 installation files.

They are pure evil.

8 comments:

CenterPuke88 said...

For bonus points, even if you shut off all the data sharing options under Win 10, I find this:

1) Older Vosta machine that I elected to upgrade to Win 10 for various reasons.

2) Used most often by a minor, so I set-up the manadatory Microsoft Accounf as a minor account, hoped that would help stop their monitoring a bit, Fed regs and such.

3) Then, after full install and finishing things that needed the sign-in (I know you can use a local account to upgrade, but I had to get some other things that required an account) I switched to using a local account, and not signing in.

4) Every week, Microsoft e-mails the associated parental account a summary of activity for the minor account...except the minor account isn't used at all...

5) I'm pretty sure they had a consent box checked I missed, or that I need to check that I didn't.


The good news....who am I kidding, evil bastards.

Ruth said...

List of currently known "spying" updates for Win7 & 8:

https://bearbussjaeger.wordpress.com/2015/08/30/so-who-would-go-to-prison/

The update that "pre-installs" Win10: https://bearbussjaeger.wordpress.com/2015/09/12/you-will-be-assimilated/

Oh, and I almost never install "optional" updates, and generally double check the "important" ones before allowing them to be installed. Takes extra time, but still.

To find out if you've already had these installed, go to "Installed Updates" and paste each update # into the search box, as you find one, uninstall it, reboot the machine, and go on to the next one.

As for me, I'll be playing around with Linux Mint next week (once I have a bit more time on my hands to play with). This whole fiasco has pissed me off to the point of being willing to leave Windows for good.....

Comrade Misfit said...

Ruth, good information, thanks. I saw the Win 10 autodownloader, KB3035583, in my current list of patches. Fortunately, based on earlier news, I had shut off automatic updates.

Man o man, if the NK ever nukes Redmond, I'm not going to cry very much.

Eck! said...

One word, Linux.

I run Ubuntu flavor, no issues with M$. Mint is a favorite with many
and works well.

None of my other machines run M$. My Android tablets one is running linux
and soon the other.

Even apple is better than M$ though they are suspect.

Mickeyspooge, like heroin, just say NO.


Eck!

Ruth said...

Eck, if Apple products didn't cost so much I'd be tempted by them, I've used them before though its been a few years. But they're cost prohibitive. Plus my current Windows box is barely two years old.....

Deadstick said...

Microshaft is claiming it's an accident: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/10/windows-10-upgrade-installing-automatically-on-some-windows-7-8-systems/

Comrade Misfit said...

Microshaft is claiming it's an accident

With regard to their claim: Horseshit. They're still trying to cram in it via KB3035583.

Ruth said...

Yup, that "update" just hit me this week too. So its no accident!