Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Treat Williams, R.I.P.

Treat Williams was killed in a motorcycle crash yesterday.

Actor Treat Williams, whose nearly 50-year career included starring roles in the TV series “Everwood” and the movie “Hair,” died Monday after a motorcycle crash in Vermont, state police said. He was 71.

Shortly before 5 p.m., a Honda SUV was turning left into a parking lot when it collided with Williams’ motorcycle in the town of Dorset, according to a statement from Vermont State Police.

“Williams was unable to avoid a collision and was thrown from his motorcycle. He suffered critical injuries and was airlifted to Albany Medical Center in Albany, New York, where he was pronounced dead,” according to the statement
.

Read the second line of the story again. Them go read two old posts from Ambulance Driver.

The only person I personally knew who was seriously hurt in a motorcycle-vehicle crash was put into a hospital for three months by the same sort of accident- a driver making a left-hand through a cyclist that the driver said that they didn't see. Loud pipes don't do shit to avoid such a crash. Wearing helmet can help, but not if a rider smacks directly into a large vehicle.

And these days, when a goodly number of the drivers are using their dumb-ass phones while driving, the chances of some clown running over a rider is even higher.

8 comments:

Eck! said...

Many bikers are injured or killed by cagers with phone or other distractions. Doesn't help that most of those boxes are sound
insulated that so sirens, horns, and loud pipes don't override
the high power sound system.

Driving should be driving, not an activity that gets in the way of entertainment.

If your paying attention to anything but driving and looking out
the windows maybe you should park it and finish whatever critical
business your involved in.

Eck!

Ten Bears said...

I broke both legs sliding under a Mercedes making a right-turn into the motorcycle lane. Yeah, I was at fault. Headlight, blown glass-packs didn't do squat. Helmet probably saved me

Didn't exactly walk away from it, but like the other big crash in my life, I walked away from it. I think the difference might be between my going down and he going airborne ...

CenterPuke88 said...

When I rode, before cell phones were nearly as common, I never had someone turn in front of me by surprise. The reason is awareness, and I know it’s not 100%, but it sure helps. Always be aware of the drivers around, ahead and behind…when you approach an intersection, clear all directions and make eye contract with the driver in the turn lane ahead. If you can’t get that eye contact, he/she/they are likely to do something stupid, prepare! Unfortunately, sometimes, even with eye contact they do stupid shit, so prepare too! When stopped, keep the bike in gear and keep an eye on the mirrors, so you can move out of danger. The safe speed is usually about 10 mph less than you think it is or feel like riding at. Loud pipes save life’s is generally a justification for drilling out mufflers, but that doesn’t make it false…just annoying to the neighbors…however, you can rolls a bike a decent distance to keep things calm on startup when it’s very early, and coast back when it’s late.

Glypto Dropem said...

I ride a big quiet 2008 Honda Goldwing. While I admittedly ride "The Beast" faster (at 125 on open interstate she just floats like Luke Skywalker's Land Speeder) and more aggressively than most Goldwing riders, I also ride like the Invisible Man because I know that even with upgraded LED lighting, most people just do not see you. I look far ahead and maintain situational awareness and as soon as I see anything potentially developing, I am off the throttle and feathering the brake. More times than not, had I just continued mindlessly bee-bopping along I would have ended up in a disaster. You would be amazed how that 1 second transition from off power to ready on the brake can make all the difference.

As far as the mind-numbed zombies perusing their Fecesbook timeline and uploading selfies while driving, that is going to be the thing will get me... the idiot that blows though a red light or crosses the double yellow at speed. At least instant death will be all but assured.

dinthebeast said...

I raced motorcycles in the dirt for more than a decade, and never required any medical attention from it. Did break a helmet while wearing it though, after that you'll wear one every damn time. Went to the ER 3 times from riding bicycles, though, as in those days helmets weren't a thing for bicyclists. My one street bike, a Yamaha RZ 350 was bone stock and quiet as a mouse. I used to marvel at all of the motorcycle riders who just got onto a street bike and rode off without the decade of experience that I came to them with. Had a few close calls, but never hit the pavement. On my race bikes, if you didn't fall down practicing, you weren't pushing yourself hard enough. As my racing buddies all got old enough to drive, many of them got street bikes, and many among them got severely injured or killed. Don't know of anyone dying from racing in the dirt.

-Doug in Sugar Pine

JustMusing said...

Gave up on motorcycles in the late 60's after a truck tried to use me as an offramp. Managed to spot his front wheels turning in my direction and pulled over to the shoulder thus avoiding a collision. Too many instances of not being seen despite lights on, bright clothing, loud exhaust, and blaring horn.

The proverbial last straw that figuratively broke the bike's back.

Keaaukane said...

Gave up on motorcycles when an asshole made a left turn in front of me. When we were exchanging information the guy just gave me a deposit slip, after carefully writing "VOID" across it. Dude, you don't have to worry, I'm not going to be making any deposits in your account. Quite the opposite, really.

In Taiwan they say about the differences between cars and motorcycles "Tai bao rou, rou bao tai": Metal over meat, meat over metal.

irie said...

We quit riding a few years ago. Too many on cell phones, and around here center lines are just a suggestion. I got tired of cars on blind curves or hills being head on in my lane 🤦🏻‍♀️.