Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Friday, November 5, 2010

Damn the Feckless Engineers at HP All to Hell

Crimus, if I had known about the problems that were going to crop up in fixing a busted spring on the touchpad buttons, I'd have given money to Barbara Boxer.

First I have to take the battery out.

Then I have to remove the switch cover.

Then I have to remove the keyboard.

Then I have to remove the palm rest.

Then, and only then, can I take out the hard drive.

So, do I want to do all that and risk damaging the internals of this cheap piece of HP shit or do I just live with the damn broken button spring until I can afford to buy a decent laptop from either Apple or Lenovo?

Decisions, decisions.....

7 comments:

Nangleator said...

Just like with the guy who invented blister packs, it makes me fantasize about poisoning them, locking them in a room with no tools... and the antidote inside the blister pack. Or the HP laptop.

Comrade Misfit said...

Nanleator, Yeah.

Eck! said...

Or DELL, some of theirs are decent.

Apple is good but not cheap. Lenovos can be good but depending on model.

Eck!

Chuck Pergiel said...

Since you have to take the keyboard out before you can get to the harddrive, maybe you can fix it yourself. Maybe, but probably not. You might be able to steal a spring from a working but useless key. Bring your ultra-mega-tronic tweezers.

BadTux said...

Okay, time to reset. Find a disk cloning program that'll do a byte-by-byte clone of your hard drive (the definitive one is a somewhat pricey program called "Ghost" but there probably is a free one out there now, I usually use a free Linux live CD to create a compressed binary image of the internal hard drive but that's because I know how to use DD), clone your disk to a file on an external USB hard drive, zero your hard drive, ship your computer to HP, let them fix it, then restore your disk clone when you get it back so that you have all your programs and data again. I've done that before and it's tedious but it works.

Ripping into the guts of your laptop just to change the hard drive when it's not the hard drive that's the problem is just plain nuts when you list all the crap you listed. Back it up, zero out the hard drive if you have sensitive material on it, send it in, restore it when you get it back. That's the sensible thing to do at this point.

- Badtux the IT Penguin

Unknown said...

You DO realize that Dells probably come from the same factory as HP/Compaq? (As does my Toshiba)

OEM List

Apple, OTOH, is made by semi-slave labor at FoxConn in Shenzhen

Comrade Misfit said...

Dick, the factory makes what the engineers design.

Badtux, yeah, I've been working towards that conclusion that I need to ghost the drive. I'll unhinge my credit card and get a USB drive this weekend. Fuck.