Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Piece of Panasonic Shit

I bought a Panasonic combo unit that records to DVDs and VHS tapes a little over a year ago.

"A little over a year ago." As in "55 weeks ago."

The piece of shit brickified itself tonight. I can press the resent button and the power reset (hold the power switch in for ten seconds). It comes back to a normal power-off configuration by displaying the time. When I try to turn it on, it shows a "HELLO" display and never moves from that.

I am mindful of a friend who sent me an e-mail several hours ago that said: "There is no technological problem that cannot be solved with a suitable application of explosives."

I still have my old monaural VCR somewhere, it's just that I have a smallish cabinet for the TV and VCR; swapping units out means taking the dozen or so screws out of the back of the cabinet so I can access the wiring. Pain in the ass. I can pull the unit out the front and unplug the power line from the unit (and maybe a night without juice will improve its mood), but I can't get the old unit plugged in without yanking the back off, not unless I want to have extension cords running around and looking like shit.

Plus George thought it would be fun tonight if he barfed up his dinner.

(I picked one sweet time to run out of liquor.)

7 comments:

Mule Breath said...

I have a short-handle 6-lb sledge I call my fine adjustment tool. Wanna borrow it?

Comrade Misfit said...

I loaned out my 3-lb sledge, but I guess I could always use the steel butt of a Garand or a Mosin-Nagant. It would be fitting to use either one to pound that Japanese POS into pulverized plastic and circuit boards.

Ruckus said...

I have often found that an altitude adjustment of at least 3 stories works wonders on electronic gear.

Mark said...

Funny. I haven't owned a VTR since I got rid of my last BetaSP decks. Everything I want to watch, I get off bittorrent and if it's good enough to watch twice, I buy the DVDs when they eventually come out.

Comrade Misfit said...

Well, I have an idea. The damn thing is programmed to pick up the Daily Show tonight. When I reset it, the clock came back, though it is off by an hour or so. So maybe it will try to record the programmed show and that might reset something inside the dumb-ass piece of shit.

If it doesn't awaken itself, the old one goes back in tomorrow after work. I can catch the Daily Show tomorrow morning on the Intertubes.

Phil said...

Apply the explosives!

Anonymous said...

yes. and this was the wrong week to quick sniffing glue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUIcmYYtslc