Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset,
A/K/A P01135809, A/K/A Dementia Donnie

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Brrrrrr

It didn't get above 27degF here today and there was a pretty stiff breeze blowing. That's too cold to be standing around outside, watching a pre-heater run, so even if the compass wasn't leaking, I wasn't going flying. Lots of folks must have agreed with me, because I think I heard one small airplane all day.

So I went to the range. I took my 2.5" snubbie .357 and practiced on that a bit.

With .38 Specials, it is an easy gun to shoot. But when it is loaded with .357 125gr hollowpoints, the recoil is a bit stout and the muzzle flash is impressive. It must have had a decent pressure wave, too, for when I fired the first .357 round, the neighboring target flew off its hanger.

I was at a range once when another shooter opened up with a .44 magnum snubbie. I could feel the pressure wave rippling my clothes and I was at least four stations away from the shooter.

I did OK, I guess. I also worked with my .45 on getting off two shots as rapidly as I could. I had a full-sized silhouette target at 25 feet and I missed once, all the rest were well inside the body area. Sometime I ought to try in Magoo Mode, without my spectacles and only with safety glasses, but that could be a bit scary.

Anyway, my continued thanks to Justin Buist, who told me about Slip 2000 gun cleaning stuff. If I still was using Hoppes, I would not have gone shooting again until the weather was warm enough for me to open the windows, because of the stink of the solvent.

2 comments:

BadTux said...

A .357 stubbie is one handgun I refuse to subject myself to, at least with .357 ammo. Why put yourself through the discomfort of firing a lightweight short-barrel weapon with a heavy load when you don't need to?

And that's said as someone who in general quite likes .357 revolvers as a good compromise between stopping power and ease of use. But if I'm going to fire a .357 load, I'm going to do it in a revolver with a bit more heft and a bit more barrel to it, not a snubbie. If I need a smaller weapon for concealment purposes or whatever, I'll more likely look at .380 or 9mm automatics rather than .357's, or perhaps a smaller-frame .38 snubbie revolver.

Comrade Misfit said...

I put one cylinder-full of .357s through it. I haven't fired a 13oz .38, but I suspect the recoil is as bad in one of those.