Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Monday, October 26, 2020

With Regard to the Value of Your Opinion on Political Matters:

Ask yourself two questions:
  1. Am I eligible to vote in this election?
  2. Am I voting?
If the answer to the first one is "no", or if the answer to both question is "yes", then sound off.

If the answer to the first question is "yes" and the answer to the second question is "no", then please shut the fuck up until November, 2024.

However much you think your vote doesn't count, it does. 100 million Americans were eligible to vote in 2016 and, for whatever reason, couldn't be bothered to do that one act of citizenship. An act of citizenship that people have been killed for trying to exercise. An act of citizenship that a majority of Americans were once forbidden to perform, either by intimidation or by the law (and still are, in more and more states).

John Lewis got his head cracked open by the Alabama cops when he was marching for the right to vote. But you, you special snowflake, no, you can't get off your dead ass and go vote, in a year where, in most places, voting is easier than it has ever been.

Please take note that I'm not making this contingent on for whom you would vote. Regardless of what I think of Der Drumpfenführer, those who are voting for him are mostly honorable citizens (neo-nazis notwithstanding) who are exercising their rights as citizens.

To those who could vote but aren't: Your opinions on political matters are without value.

If you aren't voting, shut the fuck up.

13 comments:

bmq215 said...

I've always loved the non- and 3rd-party voters who are essentially saying "your judgement is better than mine on this" by making the rest our votes little more powerful but then still feel compelled to spout off about what people actually participating in the system should do.

Ten Bears said...

Joe Biden has done me harm, has done my family harm. Twice. Thirty odd years ago acting on behalf of the southern softwood growers, the tree farmers of Maryland and the Carolinas, Mississippi and the Florida panhandle, Joe Biden was instrumental in legislation that spelled the death knell of I'll admit the already dying Northwest Timber Industry; and again when compromising on Obama's behalf cutting me off from the meager unemployments that were my only lifeline at the time, days before christmas. Joe Biden has done me harm, twice, but not the harm Donald Drumpf uck has done to all of us. If I can vote for him, and I did just last week, you can vote for him.

The Cap'n is a whole lot more polite about it than I, I'd just bust your head.

DTWND said...

Hear! Hear!

Bravo Comrade. Well said.

Dale

Eck! said...

No president has my universal support. However that said I've voted
and will vote. I have felt in my life voting is one thing I consider
as being responsible to my country.
People have fought to be in this country and gain citizenship and
the vote is theirs now.


Eck!

CenterPuke88 said...

I have voted in damn near every election I was eligible to vote in since 1983, and every Presidential. I’ve done some stupid shit, and chosen some idiot candidates before, but I still keep doing it to support the candidate of my choice!

It is to the eternal shame of the National Republican Party that they haven’t had the balls that the Louisiana Republican Party had in 1991 when their “selected” candidate for Governor was one David Duke, “ex”-KKK Grand Wizard. The Louisiana GOP paid for an advertising campaign to support the Democratic candidate for Governor, Edwin Edwards. Taking advantage of what people knew about Eddie and his record, they paid for signs saying “Vote for the crook, it’s important” and spread them all over the state...and Eddie won easily!

dan gerene said...

My first time for voting was 1972 and I believed the hype that Nixon was the military candidate and McGovern was the peacenik who was going to gut the military.I didn't find out until years later that McGovern was a B24 pilot who completed all his missions including the bombing of the Ploesti oil fields. Not much is mentioned what Nixon did in the Navy but push pencils. Now that I am retired I can research more instead of forming an opinion by just seeing ads. The Internet makes it a whole lot easier too. I was brought up that voting was a citizens civic duty and have only missed voting in a few "stealth" local elections on oddball dates. I think Biden has some flaws but Trump is the personification of a flaw.

JustMusing said...

1964 for Johnson. Although I was wet behind the ears politically, Johnson appeared to be a much better choice over Goldwater. Ironically that would set the stage for my trip to 'Nam 3 years later. Haven't missed a vote either as elections do have consequences.

We're all flawed, but most of us with insight, pushback, support, and caring from friends and family, we strive to do better than our previous missteps or thoughtlessness. Not so Trump. He is evil incarnate.

Trump's unfettered scorched earth rampage is potentially an apocalypse for Democracy and the complete destruction of the Constitution. Right now both are bent, but not broken and I'm cautiously optimistic about Biden's being elected despite his imperfections. They seem innocuous compared to the Russian mole illegally squatting in the White House. He is hollowing out American principles in favor of Fascism. He is a traitor by action and deed, if not strict definition.

His actions cannot and must not stand or we are doomed as a nation and as a notionally civil society. I certainly favor a peaceful transition, because the otherwise is unthinkable.

B said...

Preach it, Comrade.

Dark Avenger said...

I’m a Leek Green man myself.

Marc said...

Top of the ballot was decided quite a while ago, but my toughest choices were for school board - had to pick 3 out of a pack of 9.
Found out I can drop off my ballot this morning a few blocks from where I live, where I hope to get an "I Voted" sticker in exchange for my envelope.

dinthebeast said...

Briana and myself mailed our ballots in weeks ago and already got the confirmation email that the county has them and that they will be counted.
Yesterday, while picking up the mail, I noticed that our housemate's ballots were in the mailbox. She now has them and they will make their way to the county ROV today.

-Doug in Sugar Pine

Antibubba said...

I dropped mine in today--I had to give thought to the Propositions.

It's the first time I haven't voted Libertarian in this century, even though it has a great candidate.

Marc said...

Update: When I dropped off my ballot, the poll worker informed me they were out of "I Voted" stickers, and had been for quite a wile. Seems the powers that be did not expect this level of early turnout.