Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Shutterbuggery

I've been getting back into photography.

One issue that I have is getting out of the Kodachrome mindset, which was my favorite film back in the day. For me, it was expensive, so I tried to put some thought into each shot and then take it. I haven't fully realized that I can take a bazillion shots of anything. Two 36-exp rolls' worth of shots isn't even enough to register on the capacity gauge of a 64Gb SD card.

Autofocus is sometimes problematic. On landscapes, with trees with leaves that are moving in the wind, the camera won't settle down. I have to keep my thumb by the switch to change to manual focus. (My last SLR was a straight stick-shift.)

It's a bit of an adjustment for me.

5 comments:

CenterPuke88 said...

You will quickly learn to appreciate the luxury of being able to fire off a quick string of shots and then sort through them for the “one”.

bearsense said...

Years ago, the cheapest thing in my “gadget bag” was film.

Comrade Misfit said...

Sure, but everything else was already paid for. Film and processing was an ongoing cost.

CenterPuke88 said...

Plus the ability to see instantly if you have some version of the shot you want. Having a dozen versions of the shot you wanted isn’t diminishing a photographers compositional skill, but simply given them a better chance of a great shot. It still takes skill to compose and time the shot.

Stewart Dean said...

>> I do my image triage on a big flat screen using my camera's HDMI out. Quicker/better than uploading everything, particularly with a 55MP camera and both JPG and Raw files. >> Use USB 3 to load to my PC
>> You get the autofocus you pay for. High end camera have a *lot* of internals devoted to just to autofocus. I've shoot fast erratic (contra) dance in low light, about as difficult an AF challenge as exists.....but with a Canon 5D Mk3 Sr, a $4K camera.
>> With large format and long exposure times, the problem with leaves was waiting for the wind to stop.
>> ripping off a string of shots can yield you the right one out of many when things are moving fast. I've been photographing for 60 years, but in these days of rapid fire, it's a rarity when I can take one shot and know I've got it, no need for more. There's a sort of pleasure in saying to self, got it in one. Because it's rare.
Usually, people or the subject are moving/changing.
>> Your camera has fast internal memory but you'll only get a limited # of shots dumped into it...and then you'll have to waited for the *much* slower dump to the SD card. That's why the higher end cameras have CF cards: more leads/pinout mean greater dump bandwidth.
>> My wife does nature photography as a sort of prayer....in a cathedral she can respect,love and feel cherished in. She does not about the faith she grew up in.